SuperAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sooflymami, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

LOL :D :D

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Was trying out new set-up and when removing the old, was very impressed to see uninstallers for all traces of all of the "old". When an un-installation goes so smooth, it makes future re-installation so-o-o-o-o-o much more probable....

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

sooflymami,
    you sound a little unsure as to what you want in an AS program. Probably because of the complexity of what is available, and what represents a serious threat or not.
    I see from your other posts you've had some problems with AdAware, and slow shutdowns. And that you don't like unexpected stuff like advertising appearing out of nowhere. (Who does?)
    So, with apologies in advance in case any of these assumptions are wide of the mark, I'll try and give you a bit of an overview.

Firstly, SAS is an excellent malware scanner and remover. You can download and install it without fear. Create a restore point first, just in case, but it won't be needed.
    AdAware went from having a fairly respectable, if somewhat dated application with their "SE" version to, IMO, bloated glitzy eye-candy rubbish with their 2007 offering. I've tried it out three times. Each time it was responsible for application errors, usually on shutdown or start up. I couldn't contact Lavasoft nor register for help on the forum.
    You will probably do yourself a big favour by uninstalling it.
    Other good malware scanners, (free, standalone) include MalwareBytes Antimalware, Asquared.)

Tracking cookies are a nuisance. They aren't about to bork your computer. They are easily removed and require no special tools. The most likely result of leaving them is that you may be served advertisements/special offers relating to your perceived web habits.
    Some tracking cookies are useful. They also store your preferences when visiting sites you are a member of.
    I use a cookie manager for this. Ccleaner has an easy to use one. You simply move the cookies you want to keep into one area, all others will be deleted. The application will also (depending on settings selected) clean up all sorts of junk (temporary files, browser cache etc) and free a bit of disk space. It's like the built in disk cleanup, but with many more options.
    To prevent some of the known tracking cookies (and some other bad stuff) from loading via the browser, SpywareBlaster, by Javacool, is recommended. Intuitive to use, just enable the protection and close it. Open and update it about once a week.

To the serious antimalware programs. Has your Avast auto-updated to version 4.8 yet? This also includes an integrated antispyware capability. I've never had any significant application issues with Avast. I think it's one of the more friendly, problem free ones out there, with a good tolerance for other security programs.
    Superantispyware will be very unlikely to delete anything your computer actually needs. If it finds anything truly nasty like a trojan, it's very likely to be able to remove it, from what I've read.
    Any scanner program can occasionally produce false positives, where a non-harmful file is incorrectly thought to belong to a family of malware. For this reason, it's worth investigating anything found (Google search, or ask at the appropriate forum), and never delete anything outright, if there is a choice to quarantine it. (Avast= send to chest.)
    Hope this helps a bit.

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

She updated Avast to 4.8. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.