SuperAntiSpyware vs Spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

For scans I would have to tink SAS has ST beat hands down. However as far as for RealTime detection, I'm not so sure. But as far as User Interfaces go, I think ST definitely wins.

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

From personal expirence, I would say superantispyware beats spyware terminator hands down, if looks is what your after, go ahead and use ST. I have used both(I am using superAS pro right now), but ST on another computer, not mine. And mostly I wouldn't trust crawler to be honest and trustworthy to protect user when they pushed spyware themselves. I could go on, but right now I barely finished eatin BBQ, I need some time...;)

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I can never trust crawler period "BUT!", that is not my reason for choice.

SuperAntiSpyware is a hugely superior AS that supercedes many if not all others and theres but a single feature that stands out most for me being a long time malware researcher.

I keep of course plenty of malicious files to test and compare against our friends who work feverishly to detect these type nusances.

Not untill SuperAntiSpyware was i able to experience the power that it offers in PREVENTING unauthorized actions that those files try to impose on a PC. The "Guard", which is a non-stop resident monitor brings to light a prevention technique that it alone makes for extreme confidence in knowing that nothing malicious that's been identified can start it's chaos on your good machines.

ST has some fans and maybe it does satisfies those enough who have tested it's abilities and i will not not knock it, but SuperAntiSpyware for me is proven it's metal against the toughest without losing any steam in doing so.

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware used to do a pretty bang up job of identifying malwares but when it came time to remove or clean those creations, it fell woefully short in that respect by freezing up or else locking up completely leaving the user at the mercy of the malicious program and the hundreds of entries it wrote to the registry and or other places in the system.

4. duke1959

I hear about SuperAntiSpyware's ability for scanning , but other than your report here EASTER2010, what does it really offer for RealTime protection? It doesn't really say much about it on their website. I'm not putting this product down, and just the fact that Nick is so active in this forum is reason enough to use it. However I want the best RealTime detection for my money, since I can use what ever antispyware program that has the best scanning capabilities for free. I would have to go with Spyware Terminator for RealTime just from what I've read about it's HIPS capabilities alone. If SAS does have good RealTime capabilities , than why don't they sell it more? Think about it. SAS costs money for RealTime while ST costs nothing. And yet if you compare websites, ST does a better job of informing people about it's RealTime protection than the SAS website does. To be fair though, the best website that I've seen that sells the products RealTime capabilities, is a squared anti-malware with it's explanation of it's IDS Behavioral Detection. I'm tired now from starting all this trouble, LOL, so goodnight.

5. btman

btman Registered Member

Scans: I can't say. SUPER has never detected anything rather then 1 fp and cookies... Same for ST.
    Realtime: ST because I don't have paid SUPER
    Bite for Buck: ST because I'm cheap :)
    Support: ST for ONLY the fact I've reported bearshare as a false positive for a while now... A LONG while... And once it was removed, but now it's back and I've used there reporting system for the past 5 scans but it's still here... But then again I don't use the forum for SUPER... Otherwise I haven't had problems with either program... So for support it's nearly dead on.
    Interface: ST, I still dislike SUPER anti-spywares interface...

So yeah... Both should suit your purposes.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

This is not a knee jerk reply but if that's what you desire i suggest you do like i did. Go with KAV 6 Suite. You will not be disappointed. It's the best patrol i found for my money, i can assure you of that; and i normally lean mostly to free programs otherwise.

Regards

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you want to know about the realtime protection and how good removing malware it is ask fcukdat
    he tests malware and said superantispyware always gets rid of the rubbish
    lodore

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I prefer SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS) over Spyware Terminator (ST), because it have better detection, but the realtime scanner of ST is also very nice because I can monitor a lot of important system areas and decide the action over it...

So I use both.

9. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Lodore nothing gets 100% of everything everytime and this needs to be remembered and taken into consideration.

With reguard's SAS capabilities i reitereate that i use it to clean up 2-8 infections a day from a prechosen group of more commonly appearing malware infections.

I get hosed to collect the malware specimens specifically new or not widely detected stuff to upload to malware listserve(see signature) and subsequently because i don't use VM/Imaging(rollback) software i need to clean the currently loaded infection to go get some more:p

At that point ,SAS free is my principal botkiller to chew out as many off the bots as it can.Quite often it will nuke the infection 100% but on some occaisions there are still active remnents which is new stuff or repacks not catered for by *smart rules*....
    These samples are then collected,zipped and submitted to Nick S at SAS HQ who normaly gets them out 6-48 hrs after receiving them as definition updates:)

This i consider to be a quick turnaround(responsive)by the vendor and combined with its high sucess rate versus my target malware groups is why i use the free botkiller and quite happily self titled myself SAS free fanboy#1 :thumb:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes i am well aware of that but what i forgot to put if it doesnt you submit the samples to nick and then it gets rid of them.
    lodore

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We scan every new process created, everything launched through the shell, as well as critical registry locations (BHO's, WinLogon, etc.) and our First Chance Prevention scans over 50 critical locations on startup to remove malware before it can take hold of your system.

We focus on the detection and removal portion (on our site and promotion) because 99% of people that are getting our product are already infected and have tried other products which were unable to remove the infection.

ST is backed by a big/larger company (Crawler.com) so they can afford to give away the whole package, where we (SAS) are a private company that does have to have income to be able to support our continued development of the product and the daily definition updates - they don't just get updated by magic :)

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Nick and your team, keep the excellent work!!! :thumb:

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

If I were going to go with SAS do you think it is necessary to to have the for pay version since i HAVE nod32. What additional protections would SAS offer that NOD32 doesn't have?.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No. Nod32 and SAS free are as good as you can get.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

SAS complements NOD32 on detection, and also check registry entries... ;)

16. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Thanks. That what I thought also.

17. duke1959

Nick, first I want to let you know that I believe SuperAntiSpyware to be a fine program, and like it very much. Second I mean no insult here, and start these threads out of some idle curiosity, and to have fun. Finally I will tell you that because of your involvement in this forum, and especially now that you have given the information you have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy SAS over any of the other paid Antispyware programs, except maybe a squared anti-malware. Although I am a safe surfer and someone who has yet to be infected, I still like to know which program would offer the best RealTime protection (other than HIPS software) in the rare case there would ever be a new or unknown malware to infitrate Firefox. Take care Nick, and I'm sure that SAS will keep improving no matter how small the company is.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

No. Nod32 and SAS free are as good as you can get.

I believe that SAS Pro and Nod32 is even better realtime protection! I don't think it's humanily possible for anything to go through that:eek:

19. avenger107

avenger107 Registered Member

I have had the occasion running SAS Pro and NOD where SAS sounded an alarm and prevented an infection while NOD remained silent. The threat was legitimate, during deliberate unsafe surfing. NOD might have caught it later, but at least in this case SAS got if first. Prevention is always better than a cure. I never hesitate to recommend the NOD + SAS Pro combo. While nothing is foolproof, this combo is both light and tight.

20. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I never take the forum discussions as an insult - I always am happy to discuss our product, or security issues in general. It's a great way for everyone to learn. I also appreciate the suggestions from the user base actually using the product.

21. btman

btman Registered Member

That'd be a lie. While I had NOD32 and was installing many pieces of malware... SUPER found none of the baddies and NOD32 left 6 remains of one... Which Kaspersky found after I uninstalled NOD32. They were mainly trojans, 1 or 2 zlob varients and a bit of other crap. When I do these tests with Kaspersky later (With new samples... yay)... I'll tell if it missed any.

22. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Great point here - no product can catch everything on a given day - there are many samples we have that are missed by a vast majority of the industry, and there are samples they detect and remove that we miss - the volume of new samples we (and other vendors) receive daily is enormous.

If you have samples that SUPERAntiSpyware missed, please submit them (at anytime) to samples AT superantispyware.com. Typically submitted samples are reviewed daily and processed almost as fast - you can verify this with other forum members that submit us samples.

Submitting samples helps protect all Internet users, so I would be sure to submit to all vendors. You can do this via CastleCops MIRT, or using the vendor sample submission e-mail lists.

23. btman

btman Registered Member

Most of my samples were off of a site that I shall pm to you and anyone else who asks... And when uploaded to virustotal, they were seen as serious threats. I was pleased that AVG Anti-spyware caught 12 trojans. But now I have some new things to test... Like Spyware Doctor lol.

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thank you! I look forward to updating our definitions with any samples missed!

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Nick, you really do have a really significant/positive impact on the worse of those interuption/intrusion malwares and your program at any version is of enormous importance as is your efforts and the efforts of all those who help keep it very current.

My thanks to you all, sincerely. Please keep up the good work. You are a credit to the entire internet world and especially at a time when problems are at an all time high w/ m'ware invasions. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.