"SUPER" info collector

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by snowman, Jul 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

Have just received by mail the privacy notice of comcast cable internet provider.....an thought it very interesting..
    towith:

*we keep regular business records containing information about you such as your namr, address,,e mail address..telephone number..driver's license number..social security number..bank account number..credit card numbers..credit history and other similar information

**we may disclose personally identifiable information about you to others either with your written consent or without your written consent if necessary to conduct a legitimate business activity related to a service provided by us to you. Forexample, we may disclose without your consent your name, address or other subscriber information we have collect to an affliate or another unrelated company (note: a list in given here...which includes surveys..and enhanced services....)

*** from time to time we may disclose your name and address for mailing lists in connect with the promotion of concast's products and services and other legitimate business purposes (who calls the shot on whats considered legitimate ? )

**** we will maintain most, if not all, of the personally idetifiable information we have collected during the time you are a subscriber. we generally will destroy the information after a reasonable period of time has elapsed following the termination of your account with us ( "generally" huh....."reasonable amount of time" huh...)

so folks...be advised to expect me to be off the air again in a few days.....I will be ending my connection with comcast.....an find a new provider.

snowman

P/S NO OPT-OUT IS OFFERED... (have only connected four days ago an already received a bill of $75.....)

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

All i can say is, "YUCK" and hope you find a much better ISP and are back with us soon!

3. My first visit here and I find it weird to complain about a privacy policy of another company on a discussion board sponsored by wilders.org which is a security organization that doesn't even have a privacy policy of their own! I have been to the download site, and a few other places at wilders and there is NOT a privacy policy at least not one that I can find. At least that stupid privacy policy from concast was made available for you to read. I came back here to post this after I found a thread discussing this same thing several weeks ago. Did anything ever happen after the last post which I am putting below?
    Just curious, Martin Vannoy Seattle

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Martin, and welcome.

A matter of days - a week perhaps. We have been discussing this issue for a while now. On a side note: wilders.org does not "sponsor" board(s). We run our own - no more, no less.

See above. Thanks for your concern!

regards.

paul

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi snowman! Perhaps our guest needs to understand that we are not teenagers here? I'd say that we do have a privacy policy here. It's one based on mutual respect, consideration and esteem. I notice that it works very very well on this board.

That subject aside. This "privacy policy" by Comcast is nothing of the kind. It is simply an authoritarian statement. Their customers have no choice but to submit to it or look elsewhere, assuming that there is somewhere else to go! It is further proof that Comcast should always be condsidered to be a high security risk to anyone choosing to subscribe to it! Please refer also to these threads:
    I hope you find a more secure ISP, snowman!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.