Sun Java, new/old version/s:

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SG1, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Saw in news feed the other day, that when updating Sun Java J2SE runtime environment that the old ver. is left intact, and may be subj. (however unlikely to takeover by bad guys, exploiting older ver. even tho' you have new/improved/more secure ver. installed). I'd gather then, that it's best to uninstall old ver. In case of below screencap, I would want to remove first listing, to get rid of old stuff - is that correct, you think?

Attached Files:

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I uninstall the old first, then install the new. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, the two copys of Java can't be on the same computer at the same time.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I'm not sure what you are talking about but both of these versions are outdated

[MOVE]The latest is 5.0 Update 8[/MOVE]

What I do is to remove them both from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs and later manually remove the folder Java in C:\Program files

After that you can install the latest version if you want . Do the above for every update of this program :thumb:

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

You can hang onto whatever old stuff is under Docs/Settings, if you like -- that's where saved options and cached applets (if you use them) go. And as far as I know those aren't a security problem.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yes, always get rid of older versions.
    The best thing would be to go and get the manual download (as the update program is buggy) then go back and validate.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    The latest is as hi-tech boy posted version 8 although recently the download page was showing version 6 again.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Tha is very odd. I downloaded version 1.5.7 back in May and now the website shows version 6 as currento_O o_O Was there something wrong with the later versions that made them fallback to an earlier one?

7. Meriadoc

I put it down to a website update, I've seen nothing else. You can look in 'Add and Remove Programs' for your version or go validate at the site.

edit: I'm sure it said 6 when I updated a friends machine the other day, but showed update 8 under validation.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks for the information. It looks like they renumbered the program versions to make it more confusing. :blink: I guess I now have 5.0 version 7 (or previously 1.5.0_7) . On another machine I see 1.4.2_4 version which appears to be old (the older versions of Java had a flaw that allowed a Trojan program to get on one of my PCs) :mad:

10. TairikuOkami

Yeah, they like to do it as confusing as possible. Eg on Softpedia the newest version of JRE is marked as Sun Java JRE 1.4.2.12, I honestly did not know, which to download and instal. [​IMG]

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I noticed that with some other programs where different versions are listed. Most people say go to the author's website to get the most recent version, but that is not necessarily accurate 100% of the time. Java's own website still offers the 1.4 versions as well as the 5.0 (formerly 1.5) and version 6 beta. I think version 5.0 (again you wonder why they renumbered the program) appears to be the most "current".

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/features.html

This appears to be the current download page for Java. JRE Version 5.0.8 appears to be the latest release.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting that the website is showing version 6. But you guys are saying that regardless if I install it I will actually be installing version 8?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by Trooper

You have to be aware that Java.com lists another version from java.sun.com. Java.sun.com appears to be the main company website (it also lists all of the program versions), while java.com and java.net are some kind of affilliate websites. The main company information (Sun Microsystems) is at java.sun.com. The other two sites can be considered to be "non-techie" oriented sites. I don't know who is responsible for updating the other two sites. But my guess is either they neglected to update the link to version 8 or they consider version 6 to be the best for the general public? o_O

15. TairikuOkami

Azureus needs JRE and it works fine with JRE Update 8, so it has to be the same product.
    Heh, actually on the Azureus download page, they offer JRE Update 7, so which to choose?!

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

17. Meriadoc

version 9

18. TairikuOkami

Thanks for the info. I am going to download it right away. ;)

19. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

20. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I´m a Sun Java developer, and your statement is wrong since you do can have several runtime engines at the same computer if you want to, since some times you have to devolope apps for older machines, then you can´t use the latest runtime engine for it slows down to much.

About the security issue, it´s correct that for the end user, it´s best to uninstall previous version. You do that true controllpanel/uninstall and reboot, then you remove the Java folder in program files, and then you remove the two Sun folders in document and settings, and finally you should do a registry cleaning. :gack: :cool: I guarantee, there will be no more previous versions... :D

Regards, C.

21. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

arghhh sub pixel antialiasing... is that ClearType that you are using or is it Linux with subpixel enabled? It makes my eyes stream!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.