SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I suppose a person needs to review your request, and I'm afraid that will take some time.
    Quite annoying, this false-positive stuff.
    Google or StopBadware (and in other cases others) mess things up, and the site owner and software users have to wait for a fix.

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Yes... let's hope it's quick !

3. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Looks fixed !

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 5.0.4 (Released 2016-10-16)
    ==================================

http://www.kcsoftwareS.com

5. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

fyi. When I go to your web page, KCSoftwares, Emsisoft AntiMalware throws up a warning that I am going to a suspicious host 213.186.33.17.

6. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Yes I got that too, but it has stopped doing that for some time now. I assumed Emsisoft had whitelisted it.

7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Is the problem still there ?

8. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Just checked, yes it is: 'Malicious host'.

9. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

10. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Reported it for you Kyle.

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

thanks !
    I'll report to my hosting company since by targetting the IP they are adressing a wide range of sites....

12. Stupendous Man

@Kyle_Katarn,

When SUMo (Lite) is successfully installed, it opens a KC Softwares webpage.
    Is that really necessary?

Administrative tasks, like installing and updating applications, I carry out in my Administrator account.
    I do not use my Administrator account to open any webbrowers.
    I do not like it very much that the SUMo setup opens a browser to visit a KC Softwares webpage.
    There's nothing wrong with your site, but if by accident there was, there could be trouble.
    Therefore, I just do not want an application's setup to open a browser to visit a webpage.

Kyle, could you perhaps make visiting the KC Softwares page optional, instead of default?
    Could you perhaps make visiting the KC Softwares page an option in setup, to opt in (or out) by ticking (or un-ticking) a box in setup?
    Such choice would be most welcome.
    Thanks very much.

13. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

I agree!

14. Stupendous Man

Of course I could do an offline installation (as I do with the few applications I use that use an adware supported installer), but I think that with nice software like SUMo there should be no need for that at all.
    If you could make visiting the KC Softwares page optional in setup, to opt in (or opt out), that would be great.

15. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Good suggestion! That might even prevent another Emsisoft warning (installer is trying to download in the background)?

16. Stupendous Man

Do you mean offline installation?
    With a full installer like the SUMo installer offline installation is always an option (unlike with web installers), but ideally offline installation should not be needed to prevent setup opening a webpage, and it should not be needed to prevent anti malware false positives, of course.

17. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I meant disabling opening a web page after installation.

18. Stupendous Man

Ah, thanks, I understand.
    I don't know if it's opening a web page that triggers Emsisoft (and other) warnings.
    I think the fact that the SUMo "Regular" installer was adware supported, previously, may also be a factor. To me, it seems like anti malware software doesn't only check what an installer does, but also checks if software or websites are blacklisted based on previous adware detections. And such blacklists are often dated, or plain wrong.
    But I may be wrong, perhaps it is opening a web page that triggers Emsisoft (and other) warnings.

19. guest

guest Guest

to mitigate this i have no default browser set for the administrator-account.
    There is only a popup-window from windows to choose a browser, that can be closed. No browser is launched.
    ---
    They are using Inno Setup to build the installer.
    I extracted the installer and i can see that the website is opened after installing and uninstalling it:
    Code:
    [Run]
    Filename: "http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?page=postinstall&sw=SUMo"; Description: "KC Softwares Web Site"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; Flags: shellexec skipifsilent nowait
    [UninstallRun]
    Filename: "http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?page=postuninstall&sw=SUMo"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; Flags: shellexec nowait

20. Stupendous Man

off-topic
    Thanks very much, I never thought of that.
    Can that be set up independently for administrator account and standard user accounts?
    Could you tell me, please, where I can find that setting?
    Is that in "Set program access and computer defaults", deselect the "Enable access to this program" box? No, I think that's a system wide setting, so I suppose that's not the one.
    Is it a Group Policy setting? If it is, I was unable to find the Group Policy setting that I'd need.

/end off-topic

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  21. guest

guest Guest

Basically "having no default browser" is the same as "de-associate .htm/.html-files" in: "Set your default programs"".
    If for example Firefox is the default browser, go to the section "Set your default programs", select Firefox and de-select the entries (.html/.htm/ ...)
    Now Windows is asking you everytime if an installer wants to "launch a website".
    One little side-effect:
    a) If you are listing .htm(l)-files with your filemanager you only see a blank icon in front of it (not your browser-icon anymore)
    b) double-clicking on these files = you see a windows-prompt.
    End of Offtopic-answer
    ------

Would be nice if they would remove the code for launching a browser after installing/deinstalling.

22. Stupendous Man

off-topic
    Ha, thanks very much.
    I thought of de-associating the browser, but I thought you meant some other option, that I overlooked.
    I will consider that.
    /end off-topic

Yes, we have the offline installation option, and the option to de-associate the browser for administrator account, but if Kyle would be so kind to remove the code for launching a browser after installing/deinstalling, that would be much better, of course. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I'll consider this for future updates !

24. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, Kyle.

25. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Some comments on latest SUMo release ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.