Sumatra PDF Viewer v1.1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dermot7, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

2. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

What's up with the size increase? This version = 4.2 MB (1.7 MB after PECompact) whereas the last one was 1.2 MB?

I use Summatra PDF on rescue disks and portable media because it's small, so the size increase is disappointing.

3. Dermot7

Mine is showing as 1.66Mb installed. Did see Majorgeeks saying it was a 4Mb+
    download, but it's not, from author's site anyway, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Attached Files:

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Cant see any security issues addressed with the new build so I will pass on this and remain with the old version but thanks for the update :)

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I did get mine from MG and it was over 4 MB, but that must have been an earlier version or something. 1.66 MB is better.

6. Dermot7

Wonder why MGs version is so much larger if correct 1.1 version....very strange?? Previous(1.01) was approx 1.2MB.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sumatra_PDF_d5622.html

Always best to download from original source, unless not possible.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's 1.7mb HERE.

8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

1.7MB on Softpedia too.

9. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

I've downloaded from the official site and it was 4.2MB, later it was 1.6MB.

10. Dermot7

Do you have e.g. a screenie of that installation file to see? Here's my SumatraPDF-1.1-install.exe (from author's site):

Attached Files:

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

No, I downloaded portable (zip) 4.2MB version, then I saw this thread and downloaded portable version again and it was 1.6MB. Old big file was deleted.

12. ruinebabine

From the three links at Majorgeeks (I did not test the ftp aussie download), the one from the author is 1.6MB and the 2 from MG servers are 4.2MB. They're all three the same (?) portable version:
    Big_Sumatra.png
    Strangely, I cannot see any obvious difference but the size! o_O

13. Dermot7

Yes ruinebabine, I checked all the downloads. It seems the MG zip when extracted contains 3 files, and the 1.66MB from author's site contains 2. Don't
    know if this is irrelevant, or just seems a bit strange. Maybe someone will explain the difference, and if it matters.

14. ruinebabine

Well, for me, each includes only 1 file.
    And when decompiled, here is the difference:
    01.png
    I wonder the same!

15. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Here's my speculation: Sumatra first released a version that hadn't been compacted by mistake. MG grabbed it and posted it on their site. Sumatra then realized the mistake and compacted the file. The files are probably exactly the same in function, except one is smaller. I think this is the case because when I PECompacted the 4.2 MB version it shrunk to 1.7 MB (and remained fully functional), which is about the same as the latter release.

You can use PECompact or AppCompactor to shrink some application files (exe, dll,...) if they haven't been pre-shrunk. I used to do this when preparing rescue CDs limited to 500 MB. Some people do it with portable applications to save space on USB sticks.

16. ruinebabine

Yes, that could probably make for it. But I don't understand why only MajorGeeks would have grab this erroneous file to distribute, and that they did not pull out this bigger file from their own servers as of yet! Well, probably only MG guys or the developer would be able to shed some more light here...

17. progress

progress Guest

Thank you, it's a compact and light reader :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.