suggestions please...?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nixsta, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixsta

nixsta Registered Member

hi all i was wondering if you could suggest a free firewall that i could use on my windows xp computer,
    just to make the suggestions easier ill tell you what id like =]

first of, im not really an advanced computer user so id like a firewall that can sort of guess which "things" (i dont know what its called) to allow and which ones not to.
    i would prefer not to have annoying constant pop ups asking about programs that need my permission
    i would like a firewall that does not hog any space and is practically unnoticable
    one that is easy to install and uninstall, doesn't leave ANY crap on my computer after uninstalling as well
    and finally i am already using AVira Antivirus Free so im looking for a firewall that can basically support it

urm my basic surfing habits are watching videos on veoh,youtube etc checking my mail and surfing random furoms, downloading games for the psp and i do occassionally enter dangerous websites through accidental clicks on the dodgy websites i download from so inbound (or am i talking about outbound?) protection is very important...

and while im at it, would you say avira is a good program? i like it but if there's something better id like to try it =]
    finally.... is apart from firewall and antivirus is there anything else i need?

thank you sooooo much in advance.

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Firewalls aren't going to do much if you accidentally/purposely visit malicious websites; they are leveled at preventing unsolicited discovery and attacks on your computer.

Run a hardware firewall test at Shield's Up, and report how well you do

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Turn on Windows Firewall ... that's all I use, along with Norton's Intrusion Prevention feature.

Avira is ok, however it generates "many" FPs, which may not be right for certain demographics ...

There are also other ways of hardening your computer against internet attacks, by disabling unneeded services and uninstalling MS Client for Networks and File/Printer Sharing Support, only if you are not on a network and do not share files or printers with other computers.

And read this about Firewalls:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142036

-----

Hardware + Windows Firewall + General hardening techniques + Intelligent Web Surfing.

3. nixsta

nixsta Registered Member

this is the result i got:

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
    Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
    Your Internet port ### does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
    Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

and so i should just use the windows one??

and thanks

4. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Turn on Windows Firewall and configure it .. it should be self-explanatory.

http://www.grc.com/su-explain.htm

Aside from security software, I suggest disabling all but one admin. account, and use a guest/restricted account all the time, using the "Run as..." command to elevate the priv. of certain programs as needed.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.