Suggestion for moving posts

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MikeBCda, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Kudos to the mods and admins for their efforts to keep this place neatly organized and ship-shape. There are days when, from the viewpoint of "just another member", moving posts to more appropriate locations must seem like (or even actually be) a full-time job all by itself.

A suggestion, though? When you do move a post, and leave a note in its original location, would it be possible to mention the name of the forum it's been moved to in addition to the link you already provide?

For some of us that might make it easier to check forums (fora?) for new postings with a minimum of getting sidetracked -- if the link uses the same window rather than opening a new one, I find I often lose track of where I was before checking out the link.

Best to all,
    Mike

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, I almost always do that anyway with moved messages such as:

Though I'm not sure I see any great benefit in it. Either a person will click on the link and go to that thread right at that point (which means they'll know what forum it is in), or they'll continue reading in the current forum section. If they continue in the current section, why would knowing that a thread had been moved from say the SpywareBlaster forum to Privacy Software change how the person is going to read through the forums? If they weren't going to go to Privacy Software anyway, why would the fact that someone misposted a Privacy Software message in the SpywareBlaster section make them want to go there?

Well, there are the "New" post markers on the main forum index page which remain there until you've looked at the sub-forum's index, and of course the un-read posts will flash new until you've read them.

I agree, it is easy to get sidetracked following links out and not just to other threads here but to other sites, etc. Personally, I always force IE to give me a new window whenever I follow any link here. (By holding down the "Shift" key when clicking on the link it'll open the reference in a new window.) That way when I back out of wherever I've been linked to, my original window is still where it was so I can continue on from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.