Sudden partial IE-SPYAD malfunction?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jayzzz, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Yesterday, I had IE-SPYAD's link buttons to put sites easily into my Trusted or Restricted Zones. As of this morning, I did not. I've uninstalled, rebooted, & reinstalled several times with fresh downloads but cannot get back those buttons or the right click options and options in the Tools drop-down menu that I had before.

I don't know if there could be a connection or not, but I'm having problems downloading sometimes from sites I've put in my Trusted Zone with full permissions including custom java settings at full permission. The error message I get says my security settings will not allow the download. For these sites, I've also manually over-ridden the automatic cookie handling to be sure all (first party, I assume) are accepted at places I want to download from. I can't find another security setting to make things move...though HiJackThis, for example, started to work, again, and I don't know why. At present, I can't reinstall M$N Messenger.

I've got a Dell 2350 Running WinXP Home, SP1...also HPGuru's HOSTS, IE-SPYAD (I think it's working, albeit not completely), Spybot S&D, & Spyware Blaster each block some things, but I believe I had them all in last time I downloaded MSN Messenger.

If anyone has any ideas to share about what's going on, I sure will appreciate reading them. o_O mj

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I hope you don't mind (no offence intended !):
    why are you posting in this part of the forum with "Comic Sans MS"-characters?

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Because it was available and I preferred it. Is there some reason why I should not have? And if so, would it put somebody off answering my question? I'm not at all offended, but am somewhat puzzled by what you asked. o_O mj

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

The only reason was a strictly personal one:
    I have, due to bad eyes, problems with reading it.
    That's all.
    I should have refrained from posting my reply:
    I'm really sorry; lately I am only making bad postings; I'd better stop...

Regards, FanJ.

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm sorry...didn't realize it was a complex enough font to cause any difficulty. Knowing that it is, I won't use it.

You sounded as if it might have been an appropriate font in some other part of the forum, and that confused me pretty well.

I doubt you're doing as you say...I've seen your name around here for as long as I've been a member. There's no need for apology. Not to worry, please. mj

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi jayzzz,

Thanks about understanding the above font issue. ;)

Now, back to the problem... What buttons are you talking about? I'm not familar with IE-SpyAd itself having buttons associated with it. The IE-SpyAd kit has basically two main parts, the normal install/uninstall REG files and the newer BAT file that helps automate installation and upgrade.

The buttons you are describing sound like one of the other add-ons that others have produced. There is a tool included in Eric's Enough is Enough! download that applies Microsoft's IE PowerTweaks WebZone Accessory which has buttons like this, and there is also Trust Setter from Jason's Toolbox.

Are either of those what you were using?

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Well, now I feel silly. :oops: I've got Enough is Enough. It does not get updated, but sits there quietly...and I spaced it. Guess it's time to install a fresh copy and see if things return to normal.

*They did not...buttons and menu options are still missing. :(

I was well-advised, if not completely attentive :rolleyes: , in the matter of using both IE-SPYAD and Enough. I'll bet something in Enough is the elusive security setting that keeps blocking downloads. I need to turn off Enough and try to download. Eureka [I think]! Will check it out. The only hitch could be if Enough isn't running, with buttons gone...because I've still not been able to download.

*Can't download without it, either.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. Any idea of what's up with it in my system?

Apparently, the loss of the brain cells "they" said my generation was killing off in the '60s, '70s, etc., is starting to show. It's the only way to explain forgetting what I've installed without total BS. :p mj

Last edited: May 5, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.