Subscription Fees

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by richrf, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---

Yes, but the rate of development is slow compared to OA.

Similarly for PG and RD. After a initial burst of development it died down.

This shows the superiority of OA revenue model.

Soon you will see that the correct way to pick software is not to look at its technical specs, but to look at the business company model.

2. Bizarre

Bizarre Guest

My point is proven. This company has a affinity for secrecy that causes all types of speculation from customers. Both pro and anti-DCs are engaged in all types of speculation in these threads. It is hard to tell what is real. I think I will use software from companies that are less speculative and more stable. This company has yet to prove that it can even survive as a company.

This almost reads like a Spy vs Spy novel.

All I can say is "Where's the beef?"

Bizarre

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

How can your first statement be at all correct? OA hasn't generated revenue at this point. Go to the site. It is still in beta, you cannot purchase it at this time. See here.

A premature conclusion if I ever saw one.

Blue

4. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Since WinPatrol 9.0 appeared earlier this year, there have been some major upgrades to the program. It's development also seems to be accelerating as evidenced by the near release of ver. 9.7. And Bill seems to be ever present on his forum at CastleCops to help people out. I don't know how many people work for him, but WinPatrols track record looks pretty good to me.

That seems like a silly way to pick software. Hmm... this business charges me very year to use it, but technically it may be inferior.

Regards,
    Jaws

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Simply because two pieces of software are considered "security software" does not necessarily put them in the same class. I would consider KAV and NOD32 in the same class (in terms of importance to the security of a workstation). I would not put WinPatrol in the class of a KAV and even a ZoneAlarm.

Totally different kind of products. KAV I consider "must have", and must provide the highest level of security. KAV for example will stop 99% (or so) of the intrusions. For level of security is why users are will to pay annual fees because people realize the level of development and support that is necessary to "keep the bad guys out", as oppposed to "after the fact detection and alerts" which are more subjective and less comprehensive. I do not think BillP is suggesting that WinPatrol provides this level of security.

I consider products such as ProcessGuard and Online Armor, at least as important to my security as KAV, if not more so, since they are designed to stop the latest type of intrusions that are becoming too tricky and too often for signature based systems to catch (hence Wayne's remarks). I am quite willing to pay a company the necessary monies to build systems that are indeed more comprehensive and reliable than those of the former generation of security products.

Those who do not want to pay, of course don't have to. I know there is a very large community of people who use the free AVs such as Avast! and AVG. It is whatever fits your needs.

Rich

6. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Not wanting to pull the thread off topic since it's a PG support forum, But why are you dumping on WinPatrol?

Nobody suggested WP was in the class of KAV and BillP hasn't suggested anything in this thread. Different people have different needs and what someone deems necessary (or must have) the other person may not. I'm sure you don't want to impose your personal preferences on everyone else. Anyway the marketplace seems to sort thing out very efficiently.

Regards,
    Jaws

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Who's dumping? I didn't even criticize, much less dump.

Based upon my own experiences with Anti-trojan software, it became clear to me that companies that have ongoing revenue streams, appear to have greater resources to maintain and continue to expand on their development. Case in point:

By the time TDS-3 was terminated, I had long since replaced it with Ewido. Why? Because Ewido's capabilities continued to grow (in relationship to other ATs) and it was continued to be maintained in such a way that it would be the most stable and had the least negative impact on my system.

I continued to use TDS-3 as a backup scanner, for the last six months or so (Ditto for BOClean), but Ewido became my primary AT scanner. TDS-3 just seemed to be getting "old" and wasn't picking up on things that Ewido was. Ewido, also basically replaced Giant Anti-Spyware.

Is this level of support worth $20/year to me? Absolutely. If DiamondCS was able to provide a comparable product for a one-time cost, I would have stayed with TDS-3, but they couldn't.

I believe that HIPS will be an even more contested marketplace, (there are lots of theoretical papers circulating now on how Host Intrusion Prevention can and must be improved to stop the next generation of bad guys), and will require ongoing revenue to build better software.

If DiamondCS can remain competitive, without a recurring revenue stream, then I will of course use it. I already have a PG license. If another vendor, e.g. Online Armor, builds a better product, and charges $15 a year for it, then I will happily pay for it. I am not going to quibble about $15 for a product that provides a very high level of security on my system.

Rich

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  8. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi Rich,

oops... sorry. I misinterpreted these two statements:

Regards,
    Jaws

9. Sith Lord

Sith Lord Guest

lol, theyre nearly 20 years old as a company and you saying they have yet to prove they can survive. lol

10. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree with everyone on getting one free upgrade and then pay for major upgrades on PG,WG,PE. I just purchased TDS-3 about two months ago, and when I learned of them discontinuing the product I was shocked. I understand sometime's these things happen. Now, I do believe that TDS-3 should have been a yearly subscription, because of the upkeep, and it would have been worth it! I really like DCS Products and would like see them around in the future.

If there was a chance yet, for TDS-3 to exist, would you be willing to pay a yearly subscription? With the free upgrade to TDS-4? At least DCS would have a revenue stream. It's only my opinion, but I would except that so TDS-3 wouldn't dry up, and I think it would be a fair exchange because the definitions are updated so often, then they would survive.

Rilla927

11. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Registered Member

Could a mod prune the TDS-3 talk and move it over to the TDS-3 Speculation and bashing thread over at the TDS-3 forum? It's like a political campaign and these people will pitch their message anywhere they think someone may hear them, be it the correct venue or not.

I'm looking here to keep up to date on Process Guard. Not watch the on going battle over TDS-3. I can go the other forum section devoted to it if I want to see it.

12. Tuggboat

Tuggboat Registered Member

Lets not forget, Software gets a revenue boost everytime Windows upgrades. New holes will need patched and the old one will stabilize because less attacks will go after the old version. This lessens the need to upgrade the old version and at the same time creates plausible reasons for charging more for an upgrade for the NEW IMPROVED BILL GATES Compatible. Everybody will get a free ride soon. 64 bits coming down the ramp. Whole new set of software for that too. So hardware and OS can take the brunt of the blame for upgrade costs without the small vendoer getting charged with gouging. No need for constant charges.

I usually look forward to license expirations because I've found a products limitation and am looking for something better by then anyhow. These products don't roll in sync with each other on upgrades. every ones playing catchup or lead the field. Its not a static field at all. Call me disloyal if you must and I'll just insist I'm a bit progressive :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.