Stuck (?) in the middle of a backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chermesh, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermesh

chermesh Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to run a heavy backup session with my laptop (Thinkpad T42) running WinXP Pro (SP2).
    Since I plan to keep my backup on DVD media, since TI can't burn directly to DVD, and since I have no space to store my backup temporarily on my HD, I chose to define a my employer's network, to which I'm connected via ADSL, as the output target. In addition, I specified DVD size files as my output.
    Well, I started this adventure three or four days ago. TI advanced quite rapidly to 25%, then slowed down, and after a day's wait, reach 66%.
    Meanwhile, I checked my target, and all I could see there is a zero byte file.
    I wonder, should I just keep waiting, letting TI to reach the 100% target, and expecting the output files to reach my target, or is the process stuck, never to reach completion?
    Is there a way to see if anything has already been accomplished by the program?

Ran

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Have never tried that over dsl and I doubt that it would work.

Try and connect directly to any network via cat5 cable.

Boot with the Ti cd and aim your Tib files at a size of 650 or 700mb to a shared folder on that network. Should only take you around 45 minutes max.

Then you can burn each tib file to cd or multiples to dvd.

This method works consistantly and flawlessly.

3. chermesh

Hi,
    I'm not familiar with network via cat5 cable. Still, am I not right that it requires an immediate access to a network?
    The only network I have access to is my university, and the distance between my place of residence and my office is around 100 miles. Therefore, ADSL connection is my only way to access a network.

Ran

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

By that I mean connecting directly to a network via your ethernet port and cable.

Sorry, but I doubt very much whether you can image over DSL (WAN), although, I have never tried it myself with Ti.

Perhaps someone in the forum could answer that conclusively.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

At my DSL download speeds of about 6s/MB a 4.3 GB file would take about 6x4300MB/60/60 hrs=7.2hrs assuming there are no heavy traffic throttles or other bottlenecks in the link.

Now the problem. As you said, the link is an ADSL and the A stands for asymmetrical. Upload or upstream speeds (ie, out of your pc to the server) are much less than maximum download speeds so it is going to take a lot longer. I think the upstream rate can be about 10X slower. Now you are up to 3 days per file.

Lots of systems show files as 0 bytes until the file is complete and the size is updated on closing.

6. chermesh

Seekforever,
    I have the ime and patience for letting the process take days. As a matter of fact, I'm set for a two week session. My only concerns are:
    1. For a problem which rewuires a reboot. Will TI continue its session after reboot or will incomplete backup be lost or will it be renewed?
    2. That in spite of the report that 70% complete" the 0 byte report indicates no progress. I hope still that this is a false report and that it the way you say, "Lots of systems show files as 0 bytes until the file is complete and the size is updated on closing".

Ran

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Phew!! Even if the ADSL modem was one of the new QoS (Quality of Service) enabled generation, I have serious doubts about this sort of arrangement ending up with an error free image. However, For Ran's sake, I would be happy to be proved wrong!!

Regards

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I doubt TI was intended to work over a WAN and it will probably restart from the beginning if the backup is interrupted.

IMO, you may have an inexpensive solution for your lack of storage but you don't have a good solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.