strong standalone security apps?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what apps do you think can work and do it's job as standalone for realtime protection againts all kind of malware?any coments?thanks

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Given a fully patched system with a beefed up Browser (Firefox w/WOT & NoScript, etc.) DefenseWall is the first one that comes to mind, then Malware Defender. I still want a layered approach though firewall, AV & HIPS.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool agree;)

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

GesWall

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will say Malware Defender cause it covers alot:)

6. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I really like GESWall or Defensewall as stand alones.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use ShadowDefender on my desktop. I do have some other stuff for backup, just in case. So far, nothing has gotten through ShadowDefender.

Laptop is about the same, with Sandboxie for additional protection. Not sure I need SD and Sandboxie but they work.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: what about keyloggers?

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

They are gone when he do a restart or in sandboxie case - flush the toilet :D

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

With Vista's defaults (Firewall, UAC, Windows Defender) my first choice would be a good imaging program: ShadowProtect Desktop.

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

NEVER had a problem on this setup using Sandboxie and Returnil in the last full year running this setup :thumb:

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:thumb: ;) :thumb:

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am testing malware defender i feel this app has alot of potential in it's engine:D it protects:registry,apps,files,network,etc,etc in real time;)

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Would running in LUA fit into this standalone description? Or how about SRP with the Basic User approach? Can't beat the price that is for sure.

Sul.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap the software restriction policy it is a cool option to be a heavy heigh condender;)

16. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

As long as there's a router or hardware firewall out front, SSM would be very capable of securing Windows by itself, provided that the user has implemented a strong set of rules. That said, no security app should be expected to stand alone, no matter how good it is. No security apps does everything well. SSM has long been at the core of my security package but I also use a software firewall (Kerio 2.1.5) for traffic control and web content filtering (Proxomitron) to remove unwanted content from the permitted traffic. The 3 complement each other very well. I've used this combination for going on 4 years now on several operating systems and have never had to clean or remove malicious code from any of them.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i believe that a good hips with firewall will be a strong choice here or a pure sandbox/policy base sandbox;)

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As most members know by now i am highly favorable toward a STRONG well designed HIPS with no fluff and stuff, just basics and features to add and Import/Export either individual rules or full backup & restore of complete RuleSets.

My WISH list?

A pure & "Lite" SUPER HIPS on the order of the EQS i fell head over heels for, that not only terminates identified potential threats, but like anti-rootkit tools, also offer to wipe the offending and found/aborted file or files preferably with an option to use ERASER! Same for registry items should something wedge itself to add to Enum\Root or even hidden blasted question mark items ??/blah blah bla with removal permissions made/set empty. DefenseWall offers registry rollback protections to this effect.

Integrated also a new undocumented but untouchable super self protection, like an alternate HIPS kernel as well as an Anti-Executable WhiteList like Anti-Executable employs and to a point now RETURNIL RVS, but without sandboxing or virtualizing at all. We're talking HIPS here not virtual systems LoL

Boy do i have an imagination, but a talented programmer could draw up a master blueprint to impliment and create such a pure classical SUPER HIPS! of this form.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nothing is imposible:)

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As most members know by now i am highly favorable toward a STRONG well designed HIPS with no fluff and stuff, just basics and features to add and Import/Export either individual rules or full backup & restore of complete RuleSets.

My WISH list?

A pure & "Lite" SUPER HIPS on the order of the EQS i fell head over heels for, that not only terminates identified potential threats, but like anti-rootkit tools, also offer to wipe the offending and found/aborted file or files preferably with an option to use ERASER! Sane for registry items should something wedge itself to add to Enum\Root or even hidden blasted question mark items ??/blah blah bla with removal permissions made/set empty. DefenseWall offers registry rollback protections to this effect.

Integrated also a new undocumented but untouchable super self protection, like an alternate HIPS kernel as well as an Anti-Executable WhiteList like Anti-Executable employs and to a point now RETURNIL RVS, but without sandboxing or virtualizing at all. We're talking HIPS here not virtual systems LoL

Also a separate but somwhat integrated MD5/SHA1 checksum database that could be checked at will against certain extensions for changes and alerted on by color detail or audible alert.

I absolutely detest using on-line checking of system modules like EQS employed. NO accessing internet checking databases at all. Just me, but i hate this potential compromise because too many websites are easy to break into. A local list is more sound solution IMO.

Boy do i have an imagination, but a talented programmer could draw up a master blueprint to impliment and create such a pure classical SUPER HIPS! of this form.

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

A linux distro :p

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.