Strategies to Prevent DNA Contamination

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mirimir, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, I was misremembering. SDS does denature DNase. The detergent for lysing with DNase was the nonionic surfactant Triton X-100.
    Right, leaving hair, fluids, etc would be be unwise.

2. 142395

142395 Guest

It seems you also have to mix high concentration NaCl to break chromosome as Triton X-100 is not enough for that.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Plain old salt? Is it really that simple?

4. mirimir

Yes, high salt does disrupt chromosomes. But this was prep for SDS gel electrophoresis in polyacrylamine, so high salt would have been problematic. As I recall, we used urea. And by the way, some hand cremes use urea for moisture retention. So Triton X-100 + urea + DNase would probably be OK.
    Any nonreactive salt at high concentration will work. Guanidine hydrochloride is a common choice.

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

No no no no no. You of all people should be aware of the need to use different salts with your hashes. Depending on your persona at the time.

6. mirimir

Hey, chemistry was my first love :)

7. 142395

142395 Guest

Yup, salt can pull DNA apart from histones.
    Okay, urea is nice idea as you stated, tho ofc Trinton X-100 (rather, all surfactant―so probably we don't have option for this unless something can pass DNase through membrane w/out breaking it, which will be hard for dead cell) is not good for skin.
    In my case, physics―tho in some area such as nano-science, there's no clear boundary btwn 2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.