Strange problem with ATI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MerleOne, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi all,

I have noticed a strange and annoying problem on my system with ATI8 (latest build). I have a Dell4700 with XP Home on the C: partition, and several other partitions. A few weeks ago, I installed the demo version of Rollback RX. Soon after, I realized that TI8 was no longer able to save the C: partition, the same one that was protected by RBRX. I thought at first this was a RBRX "feature", but since I have uninstalled it, and reverted to a "normal" C: partition, TI8 still refuses to save C:.

It starts OK, analyzes the partitions, then C: and it just stops here. TI8 stays at 0%, with 50% CPU usage.

Even stranger, when I boot with an TI8 recovery disk, even in that mode, the C: won't be processed by TI8. I have used other imaging software on that same partition since, they work fine.

Thanks for any help,

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Well if I were you I would restore my system back to a point before you installed RBRX and see if the problem persists. It was working before you installed this program right?

3. MerleOne

Thanks for your reply. I could definitely do this, but I almost convinced it won't work : if I use the Acronis Recovery CD that launches TI8 at boot, TI8, in this recovery mode, won't either save the C: partition. The current partition has been tested with chkdsk and other tools and they all say it is valid. I really think it comes from the state of the MBR, and restoring the partition won't change the MBR.

Also, my last "safe" image is almost one month old, I have made quite some changes since.

4. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I meant restoring your full disk image backup which includes the MBR. If that image is one month old then thats what I would do. Do you have backups of your data?

Just make some backups of your current data that you don't want to lose before restoring from the previous image. I always backup my data on a USB drive so it is separate from my image backup which is mainly for restoring the system and not the data. I have no idea why Acronis does not include an option to save the MBR separately but I end up doing it from a Knoppix CD. Then I include the mbr.bin file with my backup image file. It is a few extra steps but it has saved me in the past so I will continue to do it.

5. MerleOne

I see. Actually I just backup some of my disk partitions, because the whole disk is too big. TI8 only saves the MBR when the full disk is saved. I may have some MBR backups somewhere , made with Terabyteunlimited's BootItNG, the trouble is I think I updated them after Rollback RX...

6. MerleOne

I have to apologize : I finally did restore my C: partition from a backup made 6 weeks ago. I did not restore the MBR (at least I don't think so). And TI8 started to work fine again. So the problem was really with the partition itself after all.

Thanks again for your suggestion !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.