Strange PC symptoms

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AlanG, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanG

AlanG Guest

I have a friends PC which is doing strange things and I suspect a trojan/virus. But I don;t recognise the symptoms.

The PC starts up OK so far as the login prompt(Windows 9:cool:

After login several GPF type message boxes appear, if you ignore them everything seems to work OK.

IE6 comes up but immediately GPFs

The ISP dialler app comes up but GPFs - but the modem contuinues to doal and eventually connects and logs in.

Any internet access (IE, IM, WSFTP) results in a "GPF"
    - even using ftp from a DOS prompt!

Any ideas? Where to start even?

PS One false start was she had loded TRICKLER recently,
    but I'm assured it is merely Adware not a real virus

Hope someone can help

Alan g

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hey Alan,

Give a visit here and do what is said.
    some expert will be happy to help you

good day

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi Alan, Welcome.

A disclaimer--I'm no expert. ;)

The first thing I would do is get an updated virus scanner (F-PROT for DOS would be my choice to start), install it, update it, reboot and press F8 when the computer begins its boot process.

From there, select either to boot to a command line, or Safe Mode, and do a complete scan for viruses from either of those locations. If you come up clean:

Reboot into Safe Mode and see if you still continue with the GPF's. If so, I would start suspecting your hardware--starting with RAM, or a faulty/corrupted device driver. You could have a loose stick of RAM, or a driver that's on it's deathbed.

If the GPF's stop when in safe mode, we can then turn to a bad driver. I would then go to MSCONFIG and check the startup items he/she has there to see if there are unnecessary/bad items trying to load when Windows boots, that could be disabled safely to see if they are causing the problems. You may have a corrupted driver somewhere.

Obviously these can definitely irritate W98.

Then post back and let us know what you find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.