Still not enough!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dooku, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The problem is not with what software you use - the problem is what YOU do. Unless you can go back in time and carefully retrace your steps, the chances you will repeat your mistakes are high.
    Mrk

2. Dooku

Dooku Registered Member

Thank you all for your input.....it sure sheds alot more light on an issue like this when several people share their thoughts.

I am wrecking my brain as to how this would have happened. I keep my card safe at all times, but use it online frequently at stores I have been using for years now. Assuming that none of those webshops have been hacked and all employees of the creditcard company, payment gateway and credit card processor did not act in any fraudulent way, then I assume the info has been stolen off my computer.

I do have a Alcatel modem-router with built in firewall.....but even that is just not a guarantee. Now I have installed LooknStop firewall and Winpatrol.
    I notices some of you have a security setup that borders on paranoid ;)

I did like the idea of using a Linux live cd for doing online purchases!
    I know that no operating system is 100% safe, but windows is really becoming a pest! Waht is the use of buying a fast pc, when half of your resources is spent on all kinds of security programs to plug holes that are wide open in yur operating system??

Anyway....it's time to backup my data files, restore a clean image and add a few more security programs...

Do you have a suggestion for a good and userfriendly folder encryption program to secure folders with sensitive documents.

Regards
    Dooku

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

TrueCrypt, and its tutorial.
    Use the firewall, NOD32 and BOClean., That's a defense already. Beyond that i only advise looking at sandboxes, like SandboxIE. Don't do what you already know is bad, ie pile security programs. Your setup is good already.

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I have great service through BufferZone; just make sure that your existing protection remains active when inside your sandbox.

Also know that any 'malware' that gets loaded inside sandbox, will be a threat until sandbox is cleaned.

Some credit cards are better than others, when it comes to internet fraud liability policy, looks like yours is one of the better ones.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Forgot to try Bufferzone:) . I'll have a go.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Did you actually find keyloggers or did your security app tell you that it found traces (registry settings, etc)? Unless it actually found a running program that wasn't a false positive, I would take it with a grain of salt, especially since you're running nod32. Get a decent firewall or HIPS like DSA and use Opera or firefox.

I would put money on your CC info being culled from a compromised online store, not from your computer.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't think that my security setup comes even close to being paranoid. :D

Sorry to hear about your CC fraud experience. I have used a CC to buy a whole bunch of stuff online and so far the only fraud charges that I have experienced were from a local auto parts store and a South American hotel. Never had any problems with online transactions using only a FW and AV. I scan my system off and on with Antispyware programs.

I use WinMagic's program to encrypt data but not sure of its effectiveness.
    http://www.winmagic.com/solutions/securedoc.html

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

All the encrypting and that is all fine and dandy but pleas reconsider your choice for an alternative firewall and not microsofts. Theirs is the pits and is easily and often exploited making it freely vulnerable for action you described in this post.

A solid firewall will stop those type occurances in their tracks dead.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Why are you trashing windows built in firewall? It has SPI for TCP, and does just as good a job at inbound protection (actually, better then Kerio 2.1.5 since that doesn't have SPI and doesn't protect as low in the network stack).

Also, being hit with a downloader is not due to the XP firewalls fault, it is you surfing some website and installing some crap that is a virus. A firewall is not in charge of stopping viruses, it is in charge of regulating network access, which the SP2 firewall does very well. It doesn't have outbound protection, but that is not really necessary since bad stuff shouldn't be on your pc in the first place ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

All true, but there's one other good use for outbound, i want to control what connects. One detail, that does not go against what you just said.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.