Stateful Packet Inspection

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Delgado, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I am using a Belkin Router with built in firewall. The firewall has SPI built into the router. LooknStop works fine with the router, but should I switch on SPI in LooknStop as well, or will that mess up my Router working in conjunction with LooknStop?

I have not had to set up any extra rules, at the moment, LnS just worked ok.

:D

2. james246

james246 Registered Member

The SPI in Look"n" Stop will work fine with the Belkin router - you will get the occasional log from L"n"S statefull inspection but this is nothing to worry about.

3. Delgado

Thanks for reply-I switched SPI on in LooknStop, and my uTorrent stopped downloading anything!

Ive got the uTorrent rule set up and it all works except when I activate SPI in LooknStop.

Maybe if I leave SPI off, I will still be protected enough, any ideas anyone? Thanks.

:) :)

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From what i understand the SPI option just records unknown connections into the log. I just leave it off as i rarely ever check the log.

5. Delgado

Thanks for reply-yes that is what I have done, Im also using Phantoms ruleset.

:) :)

6. waiwai

waiwai Registered Member

It seems I have the same problem, once i download P2P file by BitSpirit 3.x as well as open TCP SPI.

My download speed drop like hell..............I wonder if its save to close.

7. test4

test4 Registered Member

Same problem here.
    So, does anyone know how necessary SPI is? Does disabling it reduce safety significantly?

8. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

theres no problem with SPI enabled+Utorrent on my end..not using any router though

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well all it does is monitor packets and verifies that they belong to an active connection, if not it will display an alert in the log. If you regularly check your logs then its helpful to have it enabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.