Startup Manager to solve missing icons problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kwesi, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

I have four apps which load at startup - ZA Pro 6.5.737, KAV 6.0.0.299, McAfee Site Advisor, and Process Guard. However, although my settings for ZAP & KAV have been set up since Jan 07 with no problem until recently, I've lately been getting the infamous no icons in system tray problem, with a freeze on ZAP and KAV for about 2-3 minutes (funnily enough, CC Cleaner and other apps will open on demand during that time).

I have tried the usual -checking the hide icons option in the taskbar properties area, disabling UPnP & a related service. I've also used system restore without success.

I downloaded Startup Delayer, but it didn't help at all, unfortunately. Therefore, I will be trying the sfc scannow idea that Blackspear suggests at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137818&highlight=missing icons system tray

and an even earlier restore point.

However, can anyone recommend a startup manager (other than Startup Delayer) which will allow staggered startup for my apps, please, whether free or paid (I get the impression that the free ones are generally not as good?)?

P.S. I may be wrong, but I think that this problem started after my last MS Windows security update. I kept getting the icon that notifies you that you've got updates to install, and ever since, I've had the problem. I can't see any obvious culprits amongst processes, and I've swept for malware using HJT, Blacklight & RK Unhooker, without success. I have 24 processes running usually, and I've a Pentium D CPU, 512 MB Ram and 80GB hard drive.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello first off kav 6.0 299 is a very old build. MP1 has come out since then and even more recently MP2.
    link
    if you want to upgrade to that build you should download it uninstall kav6.0 299 and just save activation data then reboot and install the lastest build you downloaded.
    any problem ask at the kaspersky forums
    link
    hope this helps
    lodore

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: as far as startup manager (with ability to control startup sequences) is concern, allow me to recommend two products. first one is startup organizer made by metaproducts. second one is speed startup made by superwin. both are paidwares and work effectively to control the order of apps' appearances during bootup. I have tried both of them, and found the secondone is more easier to use and decide to keep it(license is lifetime). once program is set to go, run the scan, it will pick up all programs with auto startup entries. then you decide which ones are allowed to stay and by what order (can be spaced up by various seconds). Very effective and can save a lot of hassles. Good luck.

4. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Thanks very much, Iodore and Perman, for the useful information and for your very quick responses.

I thought that my Kav 6 was pretty cheap, even for Amazon :))!). I'll check out the upgrades.

I hadn't heard of those two startup managers, so again, that's really helpful.

I'll let you know how I get along.

5. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi. Just to let you know that I trialled both startup managers that you recommended, Perman. I didn't get on well with speed startup, but I reallly loved Startup Organizer, and bought that.

It has reduced my problems considerably, but I 'm checking out the Startup Organizer forum so that I can get the hang of setting it up optimally. I really like its 'controlled startup' feature, whereby I can keep a very tight control of what's starting up, and I think that its presentation of what Windows services I've given manual, auto, disabled status to, is much more user-friendly than MS's, with impressive functionality as well. A really useful addition to my line-up :thumb:

Now to stop being lazy & get over to the KAV website ;)

6. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Just a footnote. I rowed back from Zone Alarm Pro 6.5.737 to ZAP 5.5.094 (always come back to that version in the end), because I found quite a few other ZAP 6.5 users on the Net with the icons problem, and everything's really hunky-dory now, with RAM not taking a massive hit at odd times, with large peaks and spikes.

7. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I once used ZAP 6.1.744 with KAV/KIS with no ill effects and also had to rollback a friend's computer from 6.5 to that 6.1 version, as 6.5 did show those nasty hangs ups with KAV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.