Startup error msg.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I sometimes at bootup time see msg like "Win can't find C:\Program." Click OK on that, and startup clanks along fine BUT one shouldn't be seeing errors like that, period so I wondered if anyone has ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it perhaps?

Oh, and, on another topic: do you folks here shut off apps before shutdown, or in theory is the OS supposed to handle that? (Have XP PRO SP2). Been seeing msg. in Event Viewer about "user never..." something, re an app still using the Reg. and as the final shutdown occurs I see (usually too quickly to read it all) a dialog box about either firewall's process (smc.exe) or similar msg. having to do with NOD32.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Check the Event Viewer, does it say anything?
    Mrk

3. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi SG1 :)

Check all startup elements to spot which one is missing.
    The best tool for this is Autoruns:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

Windows is supposed to handle that ...

For EventID errors 1500, 1517 or 1524 it's recommended to install the MS service UPHClean:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Install the service ... and forget it.

:)

4. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mrkvonic:

Will try to remember and check that, after bootup, if I see error again about this. Thanks.

=====================================

Climenole:

And, thanks to you also; dipstick here didn't quite equate the unchecked box here and there in Autoruns, re my query. Doh! Live and learn - that's why I come here. Did some uninstalls, deletions, cleaned the registry & such; a few more bootups may tell rest of the story on this.

And, in MS WIN Current Ver. ShellExecuteHooks area (of AutoRuns) I see SpywareGuard's unchecked. Good or bad or, what should this be? One or two other security apps were hooked in, good and proper, I should imagine.

I wonder, though: seems there's a stray file left from GMER that I ran a time or two; should I delete that file? Think it's a .sys file, that AutoRuns mentions, and it's unchecked, as I recall.

* AND, nice to hear about that MS hive cleanup tool; will check more closely on msg. in Event Viewer on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.