Sqlslammer

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AnthonyG, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

_'yesterday i updated to mcafee desktop firewall 8.5 from 8, and literally every 30 mins im getting a permision screen for a sqlslammer. The warning alert is scaring the life out of me as its a loud siren, ive disabled this noise now but im still getting the pop up.

What is it.

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is it just an alert notifying you the firewall has blocked this? If so, can you configure the firewall to just deny and log - no alert?

Regards,

CrazyM

4. AnthonyG

it is saying would you like to block or block for 20 minutes.

how do i disable this screen, it never came up at all with mdf8.

I would rather not update to xpsp2.

Also is my computer infected with a worm?

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you select block do the alerts continue? Are you getting alerts for all blocked unsolicited inbound packets? I would hope you can configure it to silently block and log, unless you like getting alerts on everything.

If it is working differently than your previous version you may need to go through the help file and look for setting/configuration options that may have changed.

Not sure what updating to xpsp2 has to do with what you are experiencing?

If these are just blocked unsolicited inbound packets it does not mean you are infected.
    What is showing in the logs?

Regards,

CrazyM

6. AnthonyG

thanks i just asked this as in the link Huwge gave it said it was due to a worm infection, and an upgrade to a new servica pack was required.

when i click block the message just comes back in 30 mins and again and again, what do i do to perminantly block

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is it just for this particular scan/probe or are you getting alerts on every blocked inbound packet? And to clarify, these are blocked inbound packets?

You should be able to create a rule to block these particular scans, enable logging, no alert. Perhaps there is an existing rule/setting causing the alerts that could be modified. Have you checked all your rules? Would something like a block all inbound rule at the end be needed? A little more information on your existing rules would help.

Edit: Does the version you are using include an IDS/IPS component that may be generating these alerts? If so, check the settings for alert/blocking options.

Regards,

CrazyM

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.