SQL Server in Image Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom W, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom W

Tom W Registered Member

ATI 9.1 Enterprise Server

We want to back up a Windows Server that has SQL Server 2000 installed that is used for data on a couple of applications.

The FAQ says to suspend SQL before staring a scheduled task, then resume server operations once the imaging process starts.

However, if this is a scheduled task, and will be run unattended, how is this possible? Note: the backup will be run on the weekend when nobody is using the apps that use SQL server.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

You can stop the Service before the backup and restart it after using the pre/post command shells.

E.g.
    net stop MSSQLServer
    net start MSSQLServer

F.

3. Tom W

Tom W Registered Member

Thanks, foghorne...however, I'm not quite sure how to do this, so that everything is automatic. Could you please provide a little more detail?

Tom

4. Tom W

Tom W Registered Member

Please disregard my ignorance. I found it in the manual. Thanks!

Tom

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tom W,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Let me mentioned that SQL Server 2000 is a VSS-aware database (is compatible with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)), thus, you can enable VSS support in Acronis True Image (Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Database support -> enable VSS support). This will ensure completion of all transactions before the backup process starts.

However, VSS is not available in server operation systems older than Windows 2003 Server, and not all databases support VSS. In this case you could executing batch files or scripts (using pre/post commands as foghorne mentioned) that pause the appropriate Windows services and automatically resume them after data capture. Check chapters 5.3.3 "Pre/post commands" and 5.3.4 "Database support" in the respective User's Guide for more details and examples.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.