spywareblasterv2.5 small annoyance

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by claire, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claire

claire Guest

When I click on "check all"
    Centrport(cookie) remains unchecked and highlighted in red
    Same result if I check the box manualy.
    Any solutions?
    TIA for your help

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

If you grab the download again from http://www.wilderssecurity.net/downloads/spywareblastersetup.exe, you will find this issue no longer exists. :D (Or you can just wait until the next database update - however I recommend the method above.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

JavaCool:

Thanks for this latest update to SpywareBlaster.

Several issues with repect to the IE6 Per Sites Privacy box, which SpywareBlaster is using to block cookies:

1) A bad entry in the HKLM list

One of the centrport entries in the HKLM P3P\History list has an exra garbage character. Here's what I get on an export of that key AFTER I've used SpywareBlaster to remove all the cookie blocks:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
    entrport   ]
    @=dword:00000005

Note the space after centrport, which shows up in RegEdit as a box of some sort.

2. A number of the entries are unnecessary or invalid

For exampe, in the HKCU there is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\admonitor]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\admonitor.com]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\admonitor.net]

Only the last two are valid. The entry for plain admonitor is invalid (at least according to IE6). If you try to add such an entry to the IE6 Per Site Privacy list, you'll get the warning:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/invalid.png

Moreover, if you add both admonitor.net and admonitor.com to the Per Site Privacy list, only the last two REG entries show up in the HKCU P3P\History key (not any plain admonitor entry).

As far as I can tell, the other entry (sans .com or .org or .net, etc.) is invalid and not needed (or do you have info that suggests otherwise?).

Thanks once again for another great update to an already excellent tool.

All the best,

Eric L. Howes

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

In the latest version (2.5.1) this should be fixed. :) (The entry was incorrect in the database.)

Just did another batch of tests - turns out it isn't needed if the others are there. :rolleyes: (I could have sworn it worked on IE 6 beta...)

I'll remove those from the cookies database file in the next database update. (They certainly don't hurt anything by being there, though.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.