SpywareBlaster Update Gone Mad (3 different errors)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Gordon, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon

Gordon Guest

SpywareBlaster keeps having fun.

I installed v2.6.1 it some time ago. And it worked fine. And it updated fine.

Then the update function went mad. It kept giving me that long message about corruption, firewall settings, etc. I tried again and again. No luck.

Today, I tried again. Something new came along. The firewall kicked in (good sign), I permitted the connection (good sign), the new update appeared (09/22/03) (good sign) and then a Run Time error 11 (bad sign).
    Tried again. "Corrupted database" it said.

I downloaded the database files manually and copied them to the SpywareBlaster folder. Still a Run Time Error 11 (division by zero??)

I unistalled. I re-installed. I checked for updates. Yet another error: "Unable to complete request".

What is going on? I have changed nothing on my machine and SWB has gone crazy. How could it be that first it works perfectly and suddenly produces three totally different error messages?

Is anyone looking at this and can provide a logical answer?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon

WinXP SP1
    256MB RAM
    1.1GHz o_O

2. Gordon

Gordon Guest

Short Update (27Sep)

We are now back at square one (Error about database temporarily unavailable, firewall conflict, corruption, etc.)

Would really like to know if someone involved in the programming of this software could tell me if he/she has a clue or at least is looking at this. Should I email someone? Any ideas from people more experienced in this forum?

Many thanks.

Gordon

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Could you please try uninstalling and reinstalling again?

There were some minor update server problems last night, and they may have caused what you saw. If uninstalling and reinstalling again fixes your problem, please let me know - thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Randiroo76073

Randiroo76073 Registered Member

Gordon I ran into sim prob couple mos back, after reinstalling and still have prob go to: http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ download "Hijack This" ,install, run scan, save log. copy, post in forum, someone will be able to help you. Hope this helps.
    Have a great day
    Randy Blake

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Ah yes - I wanted to also add:

It is possible spyware could be causing problems with your Internet connection in general. A HijackThis log (as mentioned in the post above) will help us determine if that is the cause of your problems. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Gordon

Gordon Guest

Hi

As I said, I have tried the un/re-install path but there was no result.

I do not feel I need to use the HijackThis because simply I install only what is absolutely necessary on my machine and nothing sort of this so spyware is out of the question (sounds arrogant but it is only true). But for the sake of argument, let's assume that I had been "infected". How do you explain that SWB v2.6.1 worked fine , and then stopped working without me having installed anything in the meantime? And why these three different types of error? And most importantly, WHY I managed to update today without ANY problemo_O

This last bit at least shows that the problem was not at my end (unless one believes in miracles and I do not). Perhaps it was a problem with the update server as javacool suggests. What I am sure about is that it was not "some minor update server problems LAST NIGHT". This has been going on for a week (for me at least-my first message in the forum was on 22 September after 1-2 days of unsuccessful update attempts).

Apologies if I sound a bit blunt and I do appreciate your offer to help but I was/am fed up with those stupid error messages and I could not find a straightforward answer since the problem began. If you want my honest opinion, I do not have any expectation of the update server being up and running 24/7 365 days a year. It is a software that you kindly offer for free and I am grateful for this and I can't expect miracles or you stop having a life just to serve people like me. However, if something is not working (and it does not have to be someone's fault necessarily) I would like to have someone letting me know that there is a problem and that someone is looking at it. That's all.

Many thanks for the good software and for your help,
    Gordon

7. Brian

Brian Guest

Version 2.6.1 and when I try to check for updates I allow it when ZoneAlarm request what action I wish to take. Interesting that ZoneAlarm records the Destination DNS as "localhost" and destination IP as 127.0.0.1:1568. I don't know much about it or if I did something to cause this, but apparently I'm not getting out there. My older version of SpywareBlaster used to update OK. Sorry I don't remember the version of it.

Win98SE, all MS critial updates, IE6, dialup to ameritech.net or sbcglobal.net

For what it's worth,
    Brian K.

8. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Yeah, I have the same problem, also, it wont allow me to update..

9. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I've been trying to download the update for the last hour or so without success. I just checked again and got the update downloaded. Perhaps the server was/is busy or some kind of bottle neck is out there on the net? I haven't had any problems with the last 2 updates on the newest version, so I say just try again later if you get the error message.

10. Brian K

Brian K Guest

My 2.6.1 updated fine just now. I guess the problem has resolved itself. Currently: Date: 9/30/03 Items: 828

Thanks,
    Brian K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.