SpywareBlaster problem w/ Yahoo email; BonziBuddy

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dcdc, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I recently bought my first computer and just added SpywareBlaster and bought the annual update subscription.

When I tried to use my yahoo email account to compose a message, i soon got a screen that said my login session was terminated, as if I had been timed out. They suggested that if this happens, you should turn off any software that disables cookies, which their email system requires. I disabled SpywareBlaster, and sure enough, the email worked as usual.

Does anyone know how to add this email system to a 'safe list', or to get around this problem some way? It's a real hassle to turn protection off and then back on every time (if you remember), and the system documentation is not very good from what I could see.

Please keep in mind that I am a real newbie here; I am not unintetlligent, but I am woefully uninformed. I use the machine mostly for web surfing and some email. My previous computer experience dates to the MS-DOS days, and it was very limited.

Also, I ran one of those free sweeps of my system from the Pest Patrol site, and it supposedly found BonziBuddy spyware installed. Neither SpywareBlaster nor Spybot picked it up on scans, and I don't know where to look to find the file. In the MS-DOS days, we used to type something like 'c:dir' and look for the file name. This computer has over 50k files on it; I don't know where to begin.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some assistance. Please keep in mind there is no such thing as 'just', as 'just do so-and-so'; to that my reaction at this point in time unfortunately will probably be 'huh?'.

Dana

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Dana,

If you don't mind....would you Please open SpywareBlaster....select the Internet Explorer tab\button at the top....uncheck the selection Prevent spyware/tracking cookies....then select Remove Protection for Unchecked items. Would you then attempt to recreate the problem with your Yahoo e-mail account....so that we can be positive this indeed is a SpywareBlaster problem.

As for the possible BonziBuddy item Pest Patrol found....I would like to address that after your Yahoo problem....since in all likely hood it's yet another False Positive by Pest Patrol.

3. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Hi Bubba,

Thanks for replying. I did as you asked (disabled the cookie protection), and the email seemed to work OK. I then went back into SpywareBlaster, reenabled all the protection, rebooted to make sure I was starting over, and tried email again. Both times I keyed in a long dummy message similar in length and time duration to the one that had caused the problem, but did not get timed out, as had happened previously.

So at this point it's uncertain if it was a SpywareBlaster issue or not. I'll keep a closer eye on the email for now to try and catch the circumstances if it happens again.

As to the BonziBuddy issue found by Pest Patrol, I guess it's probably a false positive. I ran a Spybot scan of my system, and it found "DSO Exploit", but that hit was explained to me as a known bug that is due to be fixed. It all does make you wonder though just what is on your system, and what is not too.

Thanks for your help.
    Dana

4. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

if ya want you could go to majorgeeks.com and get the 1.3.1 TX ver of spybot which installs overtop of 1.3 and after you immunize and run the scan and find the dso's again hit fix and theyre gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.