SpywareBlaster 3.0 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Javacool

Really great job you have done with SWB v3.0, Congratulation to you and anybody wise enough to get it.

Pity you use PayPal. As I do not use them for any payment because of the pestling mail I keep-ed getting from them, so any product that use them I avoid, or find any form to pay.

Please advise it the is another way to send a Donation to you and your Company for your hard work [MRU and SWB that I use of yours.]

Thanks Very much again.
    TheQuest :cool:

2. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

I installed version 3.0 on top of 2.6.1 and now it will not start. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3.0 and it still will NOT start. Any suggestions on what to do to get it working?

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Javacool... thank you for all you do but , i know this comes up off and on, PLEASE how can those of us that do not want to use PayPal get some cash to you..... i am sure many of us who have not paid you are feeling rather guilty :'(

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

What version of Windows are you running?

Can you please try downloading and installing the following:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

Then reboot and let me know if you still have the problem - thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

I am running Windows 98 standard (first) edition on my Gateway 450 Mhz. machine. I restored my machine to version 2.6.1 using "backtrack" then uninstalled 2.6.1. and installed 3.0. Still NG, will NOT start and I don't get ANY error messages or anything else. It just sits there and does NOTHING. Any help - please!!!!!

6. javacool

Did you indeed try the Visual Basic run-time installer I posted above?

I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce the problem. What security software are you running in the background?

Also, what happens if you try running the SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate Configuration? (A link can be found in the SpywareBlaster folder in your Start Menu). Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

JavaCool,
    got an error.
    when i go to tools/hostsafe
    and try to create 'new backup'
    i get this error box window, when i click on the
    'ok' button program shut down??
    anyone else?
    thank you :)

Attached Files:

• one.jpg
      one.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
  8. javacool

Well it looks like your Hosts file doesn't exist.

Do you have a hosts file on your system?

Thanks,

-Javacool

9. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

I have Ad Aware 6.0 which is not "running" per se but I do use it. I have Norton Systemworks which I use for the virus protection. I did NOT download the VB file as it seemed to be for the "ME" edition of Windows 98 - should I download it anyway? Nothing connected with version 3.0 of Spyblaster will work--program, updater, etc. - all is NOT functioning!

10. javacool

Yes, you should download the VB run-time file (it will work on all versions of Windows, including yours):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

After downloading, run it to install the latest support files. It may fix your problem. But in any case, it will rule out a potential cause. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

Hi. I downloaded the VB file, rebooted and still, 3.0 will NOT start!

12. javacool

Let me try and reproduce the problem.

You say you are only running Norton Systemworks?

Thanks,

-Javacool

13. MCT

MCT Registered Member

I love this program :D best in the world, fricken amazing :D

impressive new skin and features :D

14. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

Yes, Norton Systemworks 2003 with the auto feature set for e-mail scans and the like. I even tried turning off most of the programs that were running using the ctl-alt-dlt feature to minimize any possible conflicts with other software but it seems that 3.0 is being stubborn with me!

15. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

JavaCool got it working just fine!!
    hey, new icon is sweet also ;)

16. Big Allan P

Big Allan P Guest

I guess it's going to take some time to "debug" this and any other anomalies. For now, I guess I'll just uninstall it and be without any protection since 2.6.1 is gone. Any further information, please let me know. Thank you!

17. Hi,

I apologize for being the fly in the oinment here, but I must say I absolutely *abhor* the new Fisher-Price GUI for SpywareBlaster ver. 3.0.

Just did the most recent database update yesterday evening, and all was well. Unfortunately, I checked again today... Lo and behold, New version! Downloaded it and....UGH! Was a change of the interface an *absolute necessity*??! :'(

Inasmuch as regular updates are imperative, and SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 hit a brick wall (?) in this regard, one is left with no choice but to close one's eyes while using it, as an old database is about as useful as a wheelchair in the Sahara.

However, it is a wonderful program. I have always felt (still do) that its a very benevolent gesture - to say the least - that Javacool goes to the lengths it does to help create a more secure environment for PC's and the use of the Internet.

Sorry...I just can't hack the Windows FP (Fisher-Price), cotton candy carnival cookie-cutter interface!

Wishing Javacool the best, as always.

Be-Bop-DeLuxe

18. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Be-Bop-Deluxe, its a good thing its free
    eh....others wise you may have a grip ;) ;)

19. WakeUpNeo

WakeUpNeo Registered Member

Thank you for the great update --- but I have a question --- I use Firefox but it is not located on drive C, so SpywareBlaster does not detect it.

Is there an adjustment one might make to fix this? (Other than moving Firefox to the default C)

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Best regards ~ WakeUpNeo

20. theshooter

theshooter Guest

I don't believe that this supports newer builds of firefox. It appears that the folks at Mozilla changed the profile directory from Application Data\Phoenix to Application Data\Firefox sometime after the release of Firefox 0.8 - you may want to look into that.

21. Hayc59,

Your point is well taken, and perfectly acceptable to me. Just my opinion; not a gripe per se. Surely those who use XP (without enabling the classic appearance) won't even notice, or may even applaud it.

regards,

Be-Bop-DeLuxe

22. I was just gonna post the same thing, that after 0.8 they moved the directory to application data\Firefox, all well, I went back to 0.8 and it is working now.
    Thanks for the great software and the mozilla support. :)

23. theshooter

theshooter Guest

I haven't tried a newer build of Mozilla, but that may not work either as the file has changed from cookieperm.txt to hostperm.1 - another thing to look into.

Relevent Mozilla bugs:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203077
    http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=219752

24. WakeUpNeo

WakeUpNeo Registered Member

Thanks for this thought but it does not seem to be the problem --- I use the same recent nightly build of Firefox on two boxes running WIN98SE, and each was installed from the same zip build after first using the standard installer with the 0.8 milestone build to "set" the registry information. One box has a simple C drive configuration, the other with the Firefox program files on another drive. The application data (including profile) is in the same location under C:/Windows/Application Data/Firefox on each box --- However SpywareBlaster detects Firefox on the machine with the program files on C, but not on the other box.

SpywareBlaster tells me it does not find a Firefox profile on the machine where the program files are not located on C --- so it is not clear whether it really looks for the profile, or for the presence of Firefox under C:/Program Files.

Still wondering ~ WakeUpNeo

25. MCT

MCT Registered Member

what they are saying is that when javacool made the program, he made it so it looks in "application data\phoenix" (thats firefox 0.:cool: but the new nightly builds install to "application data\firefox" so SpywareBlaster doesnt detect it..

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.