SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Post split from here to separate topic:

SpywareBlaster - error 67 - too many files

jsaratoga,

I split off your post so it could get better attention. Please follow the discussion and make additional posts as needed at the link above.

Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! :)

2. Wufman2

Wufman2 Registered Member

Yo javacool.......
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE IT!! Speed...speed...gave me more speed!! Connection and surfing MUCHO better!! GRRRRRRREAT JOB! Is there an auto update patch in the future so us folks with "sometimer's moments" who forget to update have it done for us?

Also....
    I read that Spyware Blaster disables spyware already on my puter. Now that I have it there...how do I get rid of it?Been trying for past 2 weeks with no luck. Can I go to the source and have their "junk" uninstalled?

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hiya Wufman!

I'm afraid you must have read something incorrectly; SpywareBlaster does not disable spyware which is already on your computer. It blocks installation of a whole buncha spyware. To remove spyware which is already on your system, I recommend Spybot; Search & Destroy and/or Ad-Aware. If you come upon a truly "sticky" problem, you will find all the answers in this forum section

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=17

4. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

Actually Detox, it can disable some spyware that's already installed. In SpywareBlaster's help file, under Original FAQ,

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah cookie block; good point. Admittedly, I wasn't thinking about blocking resident cookies - thanks for pointing that out!

My personal preference, then, would be to remove those cookies if they had gotten there ;)

6. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

Actually, I'm talking about spyware & not cookies. I just copied the entire text from #1 to be thorough.

Also, I'm not sure but I think the cookie block only stops future cookies.

7. EvilElk

EvilElk Registered Member

Hiya,

I've just started using SpywareBlaster and think it's a good idea - HOWEVER! I have noticed that it is blocking legitimate ActiveX installers that I wanted to use - one example is the gamespot secure delivery client. I have turned off all Blaster protection, and uninstalled it - but these legit sites I want to use are still being blocked. Is there any manual way I can check if the kill bit is still active on these items? Or remove the kill bits?

Just to clarify, I think it is blaster that is causing this problem because it seemed to coincide with when I installed it, it may not be however...

Thanks!

8. maffy

maffy Registered Member

Thanks for the 2.6.1, it is really fast and good.
    If you want a danish translated languagefile, just send me the text in english.

9. LowWaterMark

Hi EvilElk,

Are you certain that you disabled the protections? See this image for how the SpywareBlaster protections are turned off completely:

[​IMG]

Once protections are off, SpywareBlaster will not be disabling or blocking anything. There are also other possibilities here. 1. Are you talking about "Flash" related sites? If so, you need to disable the "Flash Killer" are shown in this screen image (clear the checkbox):

[​IMG]

2. Spybot S&D also has some kill-bit settings in its "Immunize" screen. If you used that, you'll need to remove those protections from that application to see if it is causing the problem.

If you want to check whether SpywareBlaster's kill-bits are set, reinstall it and run it. If they come up showing they are check-marked, then they are still enabled. Follow the disabling image steps above. Also check the Flash Killer screen when you do this to be sure.

Installing and uninstalling SpywareBlaster doesn't enable or disable any protections. Only using the two main protection options changes anything on your system.

10. sd1

sd1 Registered Member

I think this occurred for another user in an earlier reply to this post, but I do not remember
    seeing a resolution.

Each time I download an update, the new items all show up black and
    checked. I would expect to see them show up red and unchecked. I am not overly concerned
    because this presumably means that there is protection against all the items displayed. To
    be sure, I always select the "Protect Against Checked Items" button, and see the Success!
    window appear. However, I am curious as to why this occurs.

I am running win 2k pro sp 4.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

sd0

11. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

My brother in Portland to me about spybot it was through them that I found spyware blaster both are great TKS. I ccouldn't believe that after one month on the internet how much spyware was on my PC. Thanks for the help :rolleyes: ;)

12. HwyStar

HwyStar Registered Member

o_O
    Hi,
    I love SpywareBlaster 2.6.1. It seems to do exactly what I need it to. I'm an IT geek needing to protect a small group of "open" workstations for people to abuse while on breaks. Of course they get HAMMERED with spyware and all kinds of garbage. In addition to SpyBot and AdAware, it looks like SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 will keep me from having to Ghost the PC's over and over.

But I have a problem and a question for you...
    The problem I'm having is not being able to download updates. I've got IE6 installed on these WIn98SE machines by using Internet Explorer Administrators Kit so I can lock them down some, and keep prying fingers out of the settings. I hate the program but it works.
    For some reason it seems to have blocked programs from getting out to perform things like updates. I'm only assuming it's IEAK that's causing the problem. We're behind a firewall (not a proxy) but I've included the settings and Blaster still will not update. I have another anti-spyware product that does the same thing on these machines. For some reason they're blocked from downloading their updates. (both are trying to go to Wilders.org, but I doubt that's the problem.)

I suspect it's a Port blocking deal. SWB must use a port that's not open through my firewall. Am I close?

I tried this but they're old... from last August.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

Is there a newer update package for SpywareBlaster 2.6.1?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!!
    :D

13. China_Town

China_Town Registered Member

What are you trying to do? If you are trying to make a backup, it should work no matter what because I deleted my HOSTS file and it still creates a backup. If you are trying to load your HOSTS into SpywareBlaster, I don't even think that's possible.

14. TheApostate

TheApostate Registered Member

Well, so far I've really enjoyed using teh new version of Spywareblaster. On my old P2 400 machine, everybit of programming that goes into using less sytem resources and getting better performance out of a proggy is always appreciated by me. My old system is seriously overworked sometimes, so every performance gain is a boon. Thanks for all the hard Work Javacool, it is appreciated.

TheApostate

15. hi-fi

hi-fi Registered Member

Thank you for the great efforts in products you make for people. I have been using SpyBot S&D, and on the Imunnization page, it recommends Spyware Blaster for security of ActiveX applications, so I also use this too. I just discovered Spyware Gaurder and you state that it is a great compliment to Spyware Blaster. My concern is by using both of your products along with SpyBot at the same time, can this much activity cause a problem? I also use an anti-virus program (avast! 4 Home Edition) which I am very happy with, as it works very transparently with resources. Is this all too much to use at once? Just wanted your opinion, thank you very much! :D

16. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi hi-fi,

first let me welcome you to wilders , :)

next.. I hope you are talking about SpywareGuard and NOT SpywareGuardER??

the answer to your question whether these all security softwares are a bit too much... NO

In today's world of web , the threats are too much and from diverse range.
    You ought to have
    1. AV (if possible, one resident monitor and another On-demand scanner)
    2. AT
    3. and yes the three you are having, are spyware removers and compliment each other. Just add Ad-aware to your kitty

any questions, just keep posting

17. hi-fi

hi-fi Registered Member

Thank you for the warm welcome and reply :) Yes, I was referring to Spyware Guard! I'm glad to know all these will work together. I will ad Ad-aware as well then too. I'm not sure what you meant in your 2nd of 3 suggestions by AT (anti-trojan?). If that is what you meant, is there a Javacool appropriate app for that as well? If not, any suggestions? avast! is said to offer this, but two scanners are better than one I guess :)

Hopefully many people are offering even a small donation, as I know I will be for each app I use. Any product made for the benefit of the masses that is from the heart because of its importance to the securities of all rather than designed for sale due to market need, is rare, honorable and often the best due to the genuine purpose it serves. That is alot to deliver and maintain and Javacool deserves at least the smallest offering from all users. Thank you again, I will promote these to all I care about (and the cost only ones to everyone else, lol)

18. firehawk42

firehawk42 Guest

SpywareBlaster manual updates...

Excellent question...anybody? Are there manual updates available that are kept up-to-date?

Could the guya at JavaCool or Wilders provide a link on the SpywareBlaster page to the update files as they become available?

Mike

19. subratam

Hi firehawk,

Visit here
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

SpywareBlaster Tips:

hope you find your answer

20. Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly Guest

Re:SpywareGuard

Hi!
    Perhaps a small problem...I just found out about you from the XP X-perts' page, while trying to solve an apparently univeral folder-setting problem...anyway, I got Blaster, & then right back for Guard; Blaster update lists 3 updates available, but I don't know if you just hit update, or need to select them, which can only be done 1 at a time...AND...update on Guard doesn't work; have you discontinued support for it?
    Thanx!
    Tim

21. LowWaterMark

To accomplish the updates in SpywareBlaster, you do just hit the "Download Update(s)" button regardless of how many files there are. You don't need to select them one at a time, they'll all come down after hitting the button.

SpywareGuard is still supported and there may be updates there depending upon what definitions you have. Is it giving you an error about being unable to connect to the update server?

22. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Re:SpywareGuard

Hi Tim, and welcome to the forums.

If by "doesn't work" you simply mean that you're getting a "no updates available" message, keep in mind that Guard isn't updated nearly as often as, say, Blaster or most anti-virus things. I've only had Guard (and Blaster) a few months, and recent updates to Guard have been running nearly two months apart. Javacool tries to keep Blaster updates no more than a week or so apart, give or take.

23. subratam

Yes You guessed right and I am sorry for not giving the full term AT- Anti Trojan.
    Javacool's apps are not dedicated Anti Trojans but dedicated spyware removers.
    Go for TDS-3 --> http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/
    or TrojanHunter --> http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/
    Both are trial versions for 30 days . and are Top Notch products of their own.
    Another is BOClean --> http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.html
    For me and I know for most persons too, these are best in markets
    some reviews and some more informations about others too here --> http://www.wilders.org/anti_trojans.htm

and ofcourse two scanners are best on condition both are not active at same time, one should be on demand

keep posting

24. firehawk42

firehawk42 Guest

Nope...as I said, those are out-of-date (from 2003). Any other ideas?

Thanks for the answer, though. :)

Mike

25. LowWaterMark

Actually, those files are correct firehawk42.

You see each file of the four is only released if it itself has an update. So while the first linked file is from 9/9/03, the others are: 2/29/04, 2/5/04 and 11/30/03 respectively. Together, they make a complete set of SpywareBlaster "current" protections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.