Spyware Terminator query

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by david banner, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Installed SpywareTerminator and I like it. Where is the ignore settings? It flags passware as spyware when I think it is for retrieving passwords.

And should I turn on the Clams AV with NAV 2007installed? Is Clams a good replacement for NAV 2007, good as a paid for AV?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello David,

In order to keep things all tidy and everything....it would be appreciated if you would ask your anti-virus questions in an appropriate forum which would be our other anti-virus software forum.

Thanks,
    Bubba

3. david banner

Bubba
    Sorry about that, placed it here as it partly relates to SpywareTerminator
    David

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You dont need to install clams. Just use the spyware program by itself. Dont need real time protection either. After you do a scan you can highlight the found its then select ignore. I love Spyware Terminator along with SuperAntiSpyware.

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

After running a scan, the tabs offer the categories "threats", "safe SW", "unknown SW" and "scan report".
    Anything found in the "threats" or "unknown software" can be moved (after appropriate investigation" into the "safe software" location, where, on the next scan report, it will appear with the comment "user safe", to indicate you've moved it.Or you could move it to the "ignore" location. (See screenshot example)
    Depending on which ":passware" application you have, you might like to re-assess its safety. Just "googling" the name bought up some indication that it might, indeed be spyware. If you're sure it's safe, though, move it, and it would be useful to the developers if you could report it as a false positive on the forum.
    If you have the HIPS active, it will ask for confirmation you want to run thios program every time it's opened. Click on "allow" and if the "remember.." box is ticked, it will create a rule and not hassle you again.
    I would imagine "passware" is in ST's definitions because of the reports around about it being spyware, so check it out well.
    IMO, part of ST's strength is in its realtime protection. There are other free demand scanners that are probably at least as effective/thorough.

Attached Files:

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't want to sway too far off but since this Topic is a Spyware Terminator inquiry, and i don't frequent their forum, does anyone know for sure in a dual partition or hard drive set up if ST creates it's HIPS database by indexing ALSO those other partitions/drives.

Reason i ask is because in testing one of the previous versions it seemed to take an unusually long time to do this compared to other early versions and it thrashed pretty hard my other drive that at the time housed some FD-ISR snapshots that turned out corrupted.

I never found any setting that would have prevented this from happening and was very displeased it didn't inform thru the program or help file this would occur.

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Good ? ..........not sure. Let me do some research.

8. david banner

Think I will get rid just in case, don't use only once when forgot password.

Would it replace Process Guard. PG is really pi**ing me cos every time I move the laptop the dvd spins? and PG throws up at leat 3 alerts

Edit: Took 2 hours for a full scan,that usual?

Thanks for the feedback

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

With Spyware Terminator you need to run a "full scan" (not just a fast scan) so it can discover all the software on your system. It will handle most of the classification using it's application database, but there will likely be a number of entries in the "Unknown Software" list. You can move the entries you know are safe to the "Safe SW" list. The full scan is also necessary for the HIPS component to build it's database. Doing this right away reduces the number of permissions pop-ups you will be subjected to. I think ST is a good program and getting better all the time.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Anyone familiar with ST, can you share any insight to my inquiry above? If not OK, when i get time i'll retest it again, but i really like to clear that up for certain. There are some encouragements i take in ST but last experience set that back a bit.

11. david banner

I did that took 2 hours

There were

Have to scan again for that

I have to configure to run at start up for HIPS to work? Might replace PG

Must say I liked it very much, what is the immunise about,is it like SpywareBlaster Does it need to be running all the time for that?

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm fairly familiar with it, but fairly intermediate/beginner on computers. I can't imagine why or how the files were corrupted, sorry.
    I do have two separate hard drives, I've had various software installed on both, ST seems to recognize everything (and scan) on both disks, regardless of the install location.
    Not any more, apparently. The current version will start building it in the background, without a full scan needed. It will advise of this by right clicking the tray icon, and it can take a while.
    Will it replace PG? Never used it, don't know. It won't throw an alert for every single thing you do, though, and it won't (usually) throw an alert for something already allowed.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks, with that it confirms just what i experienced. While in concept a useful practice perhaps, the version i tested with, run into some harsh thrashing on the other partition while building HIPS database. I now "LOCK" that partition with PC Security to prevent this potential problem from recurring. Maybe it was a one time glitch or whatever but i still feel the user should have a choice to allow ST to enter other partitions or not, as in user preference. From what i experienced, it proceeded without notification and took an exceptionally long time in doing so. A thrashing disk is a clear sign something is being hard pressed.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, you have to have the real-time shield enabled for the HIPS feature to function. The immunize option is similar to SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D. I use them all since they appear to have different databases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.