Spyware is sneaky, aggressive, oppressive

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Houston Chronicle
    NEW YORK -- David Eckstein turned on his computer one day and launched his Web browser, just as he had every day. This time, however, CNN.com did not automatically open. Instead, the page was a search engine he'd never heard of.

2. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Ron
    What an interesting article.It just about makes you afraid to download anything especially if your not to knowledgble anyway.From now on I'm going to ask someone who knows before I do--how about these messages that I've got alot of asking if I want to download macro flash player-i think thats the name of it--so far I havent installed it.--thanks
    Rita

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Rita

I have flashplayer on my computer. My proxy blocks it unless I want to see a flash site.
    If you don't have a means to block flash, it can be annoying since many sites use it for ads.
    To the best of my knowledge, I have never received unwanted items on my computer because of Flash player.

Macromedia

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Very very interesting article. I asked my mum to read it so she would be able to understand spyware better. :D ;)

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

guess I'll install it then,because I'm always needing it I guess because it's always popping up"install or dont install"macromedia flash.I wasnt sure about it though--better to be safe than sorry,and I have made so many mistakes before.thanks for letting me know
    Rita

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    MacroMedia Flash Player is not bad. It is useful to do fun stuff and make your online experience better. It is what uses the program that you need to be careful about. Junk using a good program to do bad things to your machine. Also make sure it is kept up to date too. As it sometimes has security holes too. By the way speaking of this what version are they on now I have not checked mine in a while? :oops: Also keep your protections up to date. No need to run through the list just keeping hanging around here you will see for those who do not know. Now I do have a strong opinion on RealNetwork. No, No and No. Very snoopware always wanting internet access for unknown reason. when I had my ME OS on my Compaq it was really hard to get it out of my machine too. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  7. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thanks Ron for sharing the article. Will u be posting PartII?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Count on it Peaches!

9. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thank U - Would u please IM me when u do as I may miss it if I miss a day or two on the puter. :)

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.