Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by JerryM, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Wanting to secure our systems as well as reasonably possible we look for various applications to do that. In the area of anti-spyware there are many applications, both free and paid.

Two of the freebies that are widely used are Javacool's Spyware Blaster (SB) and Spyware Guard (SG).
    SB updates periodically, but SG has not been updated in a long time.

I confesss that I do not understand how either works, although SG seems more straightforward. However, considering that normally anti-spyware applications do update several times per week, it is puzzling why SG does not. It is said that it operates in such a way that updates are not necessary. But if that is so, why do other AS applications update regularly?

As to SB, how does it work without being active?

Would someone please shed some light on these two applications that seem to have a wide following?
    Are we just wasting space on our machines?

Thanks,
    Jerryo_O

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

SG relies on hueristics. I'm not too sure on what this entails, but basically it blocks things like homepage changes and things of that nature. By no way is it a scanner, but more of a realtime protection.

SB does not need to be active because it's dealing with the registry. It installs nice little kill bits and prevents any malicious ActiveX from being run. It works in the same way as Spybot's Immunize. I have both along with IESpyAD in my layers.

Hope that helps a bit.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, it does help. But I am under the impression that heuristics are updated or changed, and if so it would appear that SG would need to update.
    Thanks again,
    Jerry

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think Spyware blaster is good, it updates and also doesn,t need to run continuous.
    SpywareGuard-- I will say it has no place probabaly( pls correct me if I am wrong).

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.