%&#! Spyware Doctor!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Drew99GT, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

This Google Pack Version of Spyware Doctor is the biggest false positive p.o.s. I have ever seen! It's now told me twice I have Inredifind and some other spyware, along with the obligatory hundreds of tracking cookies.

So I search manually for these adware/spyware applications: they're not there!

Is this free version rigged or somethingo_O
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    That's a very interesting question many people have asked themselves and others. On a side note, it is one of the reasons why I believe this product should not be used.
    Mrk
  3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: According to my own past experiences, it seems to be the case for first few scans after new trial(free) version installation. You are prompted to pay for malware removal. Soon you have done so, all subsequent signature updates will work in good behavior, very few F.P. Generally speaking, it is an somewhat reliable AS after protection (extortion ?) fee is paid in full. IMO.
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont trust companies that have fp's in the free version to scare you in to paying for it.
    thats why i like counterspy and superantispyware since they both offer fully functional trials.
    why cant pctools offer a fully functional free trial?
    lodore
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I would agree with this. PC Tools biggest problem with Spyware Doctor is how they've gone about acquiring new customers (as stated above by Perman). Once the customer has paid, though....it is a very reliable and one of the better AS apps available and on the market. Spyware Doctor has much fewer FPs than in years past (and in comparison to other similar AS apps, it's comparable and perhaps even better), and they've added and improved many features as well. Despite the usual and customary criticism from the same old group of haters here at this forum.....it generally ranks very high with reliable and reputable testers and reviewers of similar AS products.......
  6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

FWIW, I recently tested the free SD from Google. I did a scan and it resulted in one item found, which was a FP. The FP was from a program called Switch, which is a free audio converter.

The FP wasn't something I liked to see but it wasn't what caused me to dump free SD. It was the 200MB hit on my RAM. 200!!! There was no way I was going to live with that... :mad:
  7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The easiest solution is to get rid of it. I got rid rid of Spysweeper a few years ago and have never regreted it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.