SpyWare Blaster and Avast 4.1 in Win98SE

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by James Deighan, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (message sent to Avast AV Support)

Hi Guys;

I update SpyWare Blaster on my wifes Win98SE and Avast is preventing it from running.
    In TaskManager the spywareblaster.exe is running and you can end task.

Q1. What operating system are you using? (e.g. Windows 2000 Server...)
    A1. Win98SE

Q2. What version of avast! are you using? (e.g. 4.0.160 - you can find this information in "About avast!..." dialog)
    A2. Avast 4.1 Build Mar2004 4.1.357

Q3. What version of VPS file are you using? (e.g. 0303-10, 04/15/2003 - you can find this information
    in "About avast!..." dialog)
    A3. 0403-23 31.03.2004

Q4. What is your basic hardware configuration? (e.g. Intel Pentium III 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM)
    A4. Compaq Presario 5447, AMD-K6 3D Processor (450mhz) 184 meg ram, a 4gig C drive w/ E restore partition,
    a 2nd physical drive D 2 gig, and F is a regular CD Drive, 32 meg video card, network card, sound card,
    modem, mouse, speakers, keyboard, etc..

Q5. How do you connect to Internet? (e.g. dial-up, using proxy server, using firewall...)
    A5. Pegasus Mail uses Dialup moden, MS IE browser uses the local network "internet connection sharing
    on my XP Home". still using my old AtGuard (@Guard) firewall.

Q6. What is your e-mail client? (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, IncrediMail...)
    A6. Pegasus Mail32

Q7. Do you use some other security software? Which one? (e.g. Norton Antivirus...)
    A7. No other AV. but use Winpatrol 6 to monitor changes to Registry

Q8. What are the steps to reproduce the bug again?
    A8. Was using Spyware Blaster 2.6.1 with out any problems with Avast. Updated this morning to the new
    SW Blaster 3.0.. Blaster installed OK, but when I tried to run it, the Blaster screen did not appear.
    Check taskmanager "TM" and it was showing as loaded. I killed the process and went to JaveCool to check
    tech support for installation problems, nothing noted in their FAQ other than a possible problem w/ VB6.
    I downloaded and installed the VB6 SP5 update package, un-installed SW Blaster and re-installed it.

After re-installing I tried running SWB and again its in TM but no screen, I end task and disabled WinPatrol
    and tried restarting SWB, no screen, I disabled Avast by right click "Stop on-access protect.." and tried open
    SWB again, this time it opened and allowed me to configure it.

I then shut down Win98SE and restarted allowing everything to load normally and tried run SWB and it didn't.
    Again I disabled Avast and it runs.

I looked through the Avast setup for a methode to have Avast "ignore/allow" SWB to run normally but don't see
    any option. I already have Blocker set to "Default" extensions, but allow operation if can't ask.
    Otherwise I don't see anything in Avast that would prevent SWB from running, as Avast has never stopped
    any other program from running on her machine.

Q9.Do any error messages appear? If yes, what exactly do they say?
    A9. No Error message appears.

I have tested this problem on another Win98SE machine running Avast 4.1 all up to date and it prevents
    the SWB screen from appearing.
    I tested the SWB 3.0 update on 2 XP Home machines using Avast 4.1 all updated and "It Does Not Effect" them
    the SWB screen appears and can be configured.

Well, it seems isolated to Win98SE machines.. Not much for you to work w/ but its all I can tell you.

James Deighan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.