SpyShelter 5.02

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Boyfriend, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Did you see my thread with the Zemana x64 and SS x64 review?

2. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I did not select that option. ctrl and shift keys were not working when used along with touchpad for functions like selecting files and folders and firefox tabbed browsing. They worked when typing. I have sent a bug report to spyshelter. Hope it is sorted soon.

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi there,

Hope they fix it soon as it is going on for looooong time.

Best regards,

KOR!

4. blasev

blasev Registered Member

once I had the same problem when running KIS with spyshelter 4.54
    they fix it with 5.01

5. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I am using v5.02 and there is no fix.

Seems like it doesn't like my laptop mouse driver Elantech!

Best regards,

KOR!

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Can someone tell me about the "virtual keyboard" feature in SpyShelter?

I read the manual but it doesn't provide much info at all.

My questions are:

Does this do something like KeyScrambler in terms of making the typed data encrypted and then decrypted?

I noticed that upon boot-up there is a little tab (for a few seconds) which you can click on with the mouse to activate virtual keyboard. I then see a small keyboard on my screen that fades away in a second or two.

So, do I have to do something to retrieve it for use or is it working in the background, and just what does it do?

Is there a way to disable it without a reboot (and the feature being unchecked)?

Appreciate any help with this feature.

My second area of inquiry:

Since I'm really just planning to use SpyShelter (Free) for the keylogging protection, I disabled "system protection" so that it won't conflict with the HIPS features of Privatefirewall.
    Maybe some of you more experienced guys can let me know if it's safe to run the HIPS features of both concurrently. (I know that I've read over the years that running two HIPS programs at the same time is not a good idea. I am running XP Pro SP3.)

Thank you all and Happy New Year. :thumb: :cool:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I ran it(System Protection) with Malware Defender, AppGuard, SRP & MSE for about a month. For the most part there were no serious problems. Occasionally, I would experience a mini crash of some sorts. I've since disabled the system protection part of SpyShelter.

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks, Greg. There's another thread in the Firewall area where an individual discusses using privatefirewall and spyshelter together and getting good leak test results etc.

I guess my biggest fear in this regard is not so much what we can see in terms of crashes etc but what reduction in protection might occur unnoticed as a result of hidden conflicts. I suppose it's hard to conjecture without thorough testing.

In that regard I wonder about using KeyScrambler with SpyShelter installed. (Sandboxie works well with KS but I wonder if that might be too much going on...as well as unnecessary duplication of protection vis a vis the keyboard.)

I appreciate your feedback. :thumb:

9. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

After about 5 days operation with full protection and no tampering with other programs, SS has worked perfectly. Not a problem in sight so far, pip or squeak.

ZA and SS are getting on like newlyweds minus the squabbles and both have system/program protection (HIPS ?). I even have my Windows firewall enabled and still no fighting in the classroom. AVG 2011 simply soldiers on impeccably.

As far as I can see all programs are working as they should.

John

PS - I thank the poster who mentioned SS in another thread.

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

That's encouraging news, John. :thumb:

(I wonder about KeyScrambler and SpyShelter working together in harmony. I never had any issues with KS and Sandboxie but am reluctant to try too many kernel level processes for fear of weakened security even in the absence of obvious conflict.) Hopefully we'll get more data points.

11. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

I don't understand the need of running SpyShelter and KS togethero_O

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Curious to know, which flavor of ZA are you running, John? Pro? And why would you run the Windows FW + ZA? Just because they don't appear to be squabbling doesn't mean that all is fine. ZoneAlarm itself advises against it.

Attached Files:

13. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

That's pretty much my thinking as well which is why I took the precaution of uninstalling it before loading SS. :cool:

Any thought on the dangers of running its HIPS along with the HIPS in PF?

By the way, I did hear from SpyShelter support a short while ago and they mentioned that the "virtual keyboard" feature was primarily to protect during Windows log on in case of an already existing keylogger. (So I've unticked that option.)

14. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

I can't tell if there would be a problem from running PFW and SpyShelter together cause I have never used them together, people have used them together and have very positive remarks on using them together for instance there is a thread relating to using those two apps together in the other firewalls section which you might want to look at and on the other hand there are posts in this forum which advises against using two HIPSs together so, it is a matter of your choice:)

15. John Bull

Hello Page,
    I knew I would be picked up on this. No real reason why, I just thought that as they don`t seem to argue, I`d leave it. I will disable the Windows firewall, no problem.

My ZA version is the Free issue of course and :-

ZA.JPG

John

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Not picking, John... just saying. ;)
    And I honestly believe you should not run both firewalls, man.

As for ZA Free, I wasn't aware that there was a HIPS in there?
    If I recall correctly, ZA calls their HIPS the OSFirewall (for Operating System Firewall). I thought it was only present in the Pro versions and on up. You mentioned, "ZA and SS are getting on like newlyweds minus the squabbles and both have system/program protection (HIPS ?)", so I thought I would double-check.

17. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

My own thoughts,whether right or wrong,are that running 2 HIPS is a no-no.
    They may appear to co-exist well on the surface but what happens if they both try to intercept the same process simultaneously? Also there's a possibility that they may acually cancel each other's protection out on occasions.I witnessed this first hand when running CIS and DriveSentry together on one test system and found out keylogging protection was negated.

Perhaps there are no issues with KS and Spyshelter but personally I see little benefit in running them both unless you can configure them so there's no overlap.

18. John Bull

Thanks Page, no joke, you are a fountain of all knowledge to me, every word a gem.

My ZA has something called "Program Control" which controls programs with SmartDefense, access and server - Trusted/Internet. is this not a HIPS feature ?
    Screen shots below, but Oh dear Page, I can see us getting Zapped through diverting this SS thread into a firewall discussion. Be quick and look.
    regards
    John

ZA 2.JPG
    ZA 3.JPG

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I appreciate your reinforcing what my better judgment had led me to do. :cool:

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You're quite right, this ZA stuff is OT.
    My apologies to the OP.
    Quick answer to you, John... ZA Free's Program Control is not a HIPS.
    HIPS in ZA is called OSFirewall.
    :blink:

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

how strong is the OSFirewall.in zonealarm?

22. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

very strong indeed:thumb:

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool i may try again after like 10 years:)

24. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

My issues with ctrl and shift keys when using along with touchpad are sorted. I have disabled the anti kernel mode logger module as advised by spyshelter support.

Meanwhile I am getting BSODs after switching to avast internet security 5.1 when spyshelter is there. I have set the avast behavior shield to ask. It gave me an alert when installing spyshelter which I allowed. But after initial reboot there was BSOD on system shutdown and when trying to uninstall spyshelter. I had to remove spyshelter in safe mode.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

they may not be compatible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.