Spybot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dllcrb, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dllcrb

dllcrb Registered Member

I just got ESET NOD32 and I was wondering, should I keep Spybot w/Teatimer as well or is having both running overkill?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Use both. If you ever think something slipped by nod32 the you can scan with spybot to be extra safe. I've never ran TeaTimer though.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Spybot? That dogs had it's day, time to go to something better.

4. elapsed

It works fine and is regularly updated.

5. The Hammer

But it's not very good anymore.

6. elapsed

I completely disagree. If you wish to have a debate about this create a new thread in an appropriate place with evidence to back up your statement.

7. The Hammer

Not really elapsed. Use whatever suits you. Your entitled to your opinion. dllcrb it won't hurt you to keep Spybot as a supplement to Eset if you want to. Oh, and there are threads in the "appropriate place" already, some pro, some con, with suggestions for alternatives if you want to follow up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  8. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I would not be without spybot, it really is indespinsable, I know of computer repair people who use it to sniff out trojans etc etc and remove them.

9. Fixer

Fixer Registered Member

I fully agree with The Hammer. Years ago SpyBot - Search & Destroy was an excellent program. Unfortunately, now there are many disadvantages. Tea Timer module is terribly hard and I don't recommend you do. However, SpyBot detects and removes some viruses/threats, which released its competitors.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This will be merely my opinion.

I don't agree when many say Spybot had it's time. I agree that detections should be better, and I believe that with the arrival of version 2.0 things may be different. But, the present version of Spybot does not have bad detection rates, and, unlike the alternatives (the free onea, I guess that's what others mean) others talk about, Spybot is the only that offers preventive measures inside IE, Firefox and Opera. That's the 3 browsers I know it will protect. I guess additional support will come out in next version, specially Google Chrome, if it's not already supported. It will also place entries in the HOSTS file and prevent you from visiting, either by entering or being redirected to malicious domains.

Like any other tool, is not pefect. But, in the overall, is better than any other free alternative.

Now, about the TeaTimer thing. For the so many years of using Spybot, I haven't come across with that many alerts from TeaTimer. But, should they come, do you have the knowledge to answer to those alerts? I'm not referring just to malware detection. I'm referring to those alerts where you may be prompted to allow or block something. You need to know if you should allow or not.

If you don't, then, just don't enable TeaTimer.

But, I'd recommend to use it. Just don't forget to manual update it and reimmunize it's protections after that.

Regards

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Spybot is useless and won't add any additional protection at all. TeaTimer is useless too, there are better behaviour blockers out there. If you want you can keep the host file, but nothing else. SAS or MBAM are the ones you should consider.

12. m00nbl00d

Since when the primary job of Spybot is being a behavior blocker? A very very very very light HIPS is what it is. Nothing more. Of course, talking about the TeaTimer module.

I'll make mine elapsed words - "I completely disagree. If you wish to have a debate about this create a new thread in an appropriate place with evidence to back up your statement."

Until then, what you say has no meaning. But, what does have a meaning, is that, in the overall, Spybot offers a great protection - a mix of preventive measures and detection. SAS and MBAM only provide detection.

It's a matter of countermeasuring the different antimalware tools.

Regards

P.S: Sorry for this off-topic guys, but when someone says something sucks, then one should provide information of how they came to that very same conclusion.

13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

It's a useless thing which alerts you about registry changes. A behaviour blocker does a much better job with very few alerts, and not about registry changes but about really suspicious activity.

Why, because it offers some Host protection? That's the only good thing that Spybot has, and since TeaTimer sucks and it's spyware detections is below the average too, it's does NOT offer great protection overall.

14. progress

progress Guest

I think these tools are overrated :(

15. m00nbl00d

There's one behavior blocker, that if know for a fact, that will show practically no alert while doing it's job, and that's HauteSecure, which also offers a soft sandboxing, very light HIPS and malicious domains blocking.

Norton Antibot is one other, for what some friends tell me. I do not use it or deploy it in any system. I don't know how much alerts it would give or not, for personall experience.

All others that I know, such as ThreatFire, Mamutu, and the likes. These will give alerts like hell, specially the first time they are installed. The user needs to know what the heck to answer. These are in no way behavior blockers, in my way of seeing it.

What behavior blockers are you thinking about?

In so many years of Spybot use, I've practically seen no alert from TeaTimer, other than preventing Windows update KB938371 from making my system unbootable, when SP1 first came out, and that update was needed to install it (to prepare the system for it). That update wouldn't replace the files it deleted. I found that due to Spybot.

Not, only, but also. It also offers, as I mentioned, preventive measures inside web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera. Those are the ones I know for a fact. I don't know about Chrome, etc. If it doesn't, I believe the coming version 2.0 will.

Again, you're stating something without backing it up with any type of evidence/clear evidence.

You base your statement in what? Performed tests against it?

I've seen mrizos testing against it. It didn't perform bad. And that testing wasn't well performed, because the preventive measures weren't tested.
    To fully test Spybot, mrizos would need to test all Spybot's workfield,...

I rather rely on Spybot preventive measures, than on the detection offered by SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes. Because, those two tools, that's all they will do - detect, and to detect, the malicious code needs to be executed.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know it may be off topic but if you were ask?for prevention which one will you recomend between spybot with tea timer and SpyWare Terminator?

17. dllcrb

dllcrb Registered Member

Ok, well thanks for all the help guys. Best forum I have been on in a while. I actually enjoyed the structured debate. No mom jokes or anything, lol =P
    Ok, I am going to lose Teatimer and just keep Spybot and Nod of course.

18. The Hammer

You may be right as they are the flavour of the month and there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers. Each person considering them should do their own research. Personally I find them to be very good tools. Oh, and there are threads on both in the "appropriate place" on both MBAM and SAS along with Spybot.;)

19. elapsed

I agree with everything you said.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As you can see there are many points of view. I prefer not to compare Spybot S&D to other applications, but consider whether it adds value to a layered defense - I believe its' "Immunization" feature does. By regularly updating the list of unsafe sites in the HOSTS file it offers a layer of protection that is not present in MBAM or SAS, etc. I don't use Teatimer as I find it too noisy and I tend not to use Spybot for malware scanning, but I keep and use it like SpywareBlaster. Also, as someone else mentioned there is a new version 2.0 in the works which may bring new features to the table. And remember, it's free :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.