SpyBot Tea-Timer - Is it worth installing?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by unholyone, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unholyone

unholyone Registered Member

Hi,

I have SpyBot S&D 1.3. It came with Tea-Timer which I did not install. I have upgrading to Windows XP Pro.

Is Tea-Timer worth installing?

Does it use alot of resources?

What does it truly do?

Thanks,

Woody

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi & welcome to Wilders. Yes, it is worth installing . The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

* be informed, when the process tries to start again
    * automatically kill the process
    * or generally allow the process to run

There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB. SpyBot including teatimer utilizes 13.70 MB -

3. unholyone

Spy bot doesn't run in the back ground so it does not use any system resources unless you start it to remove spyware correct?

If tea timer monitrs the registry what happens when you install a new program or update to a program? Does tea time try and stop it?

Thanks so much,

Woody

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

SpyBot scanner only runs when u activate it to do a scan. With Teatimer, when u instal a new program, it will notify u of the registry change and ask if u permit the change or deny it. The same holds if u update a program. In this case u would permit the change as it is required to run the program. But say for example if u are simply surfing the internet and Teatimer pops up advising u of a registry change asking if u wish to permit it - I would say "no" because it would tell me that there is something in my computer trying to make a change without my knowledge. In this case, I would immediately scan my computer for spyware, etc. Teatimer blocks registry changes until u give permission that the change is okay or deny. With teatimer u have full control over any registry changes.

5. unholyone

Thanks. That help mee understand it so much more and clearer. I appreciate it.
    I will definitly install the Tea Timer option.

Woody

6. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Please allow me to make two small corrections.
    1) TeaTimer do not block the change, it detects the change after it was done, and offers to undo it.
    2) TeaTimer only monitors a few keys in the registry. You definitely do not have full control over any registry changes. Particularry there are several dangerous keys not monitored by TeaTimer. See this post about Registry Monitor Comparison
    -hojtsy-

7. unholyone

So are you saying that Tea Timer is not worth installing and that a better software application is available for this purpose? o_O

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

sadi by hojtsy
    "Please allow me to make two small corrections.
    TeaTimer do not block the change, it detects the change after it was done, and offers to undo it.

"

Actually....Tea Timer advises\warns as the change is being attempted....not after.

@ unholyone

The link hojtsy provided is an excellent source for information concerning registry monitoring programs....but realize there is more to Tea Timer than just registry monitoring.

Related info on Tea Timer---> Teatimer Question, Browser compatibility?

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I used to have TeaTimer installed. Just Uninstalled it today. In my opinion, it's overkill on my machine. MJ RegistryWatcher is much more effective (as alluded to above by Hojtsy) at detecting changes to the Registry.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I also don't have TeaTimer installed. Like u, i have other apps. that do the same or better job at this. :)

snowbound

11. unholyone

OK so what is the consenses? That Tea Timer is not worth installing and that there are better programs for such?

What I woory about is system resourses. By the time you instal and run Anti-Virus, Anti-Trojan, Firewall, Anti-Spyware/Adware Registry programs your resourses could become to low.

It appears that many are running multiple system programs as Privacy Guard, Tea Timer, TDS and such.

What is the best for the job?

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What is stored between your ears :cool:

Actually....that really should have more meaning to it than it does but unfortunately prevention to most folks means more guard dogs. Knowledge of how best to secure our browsing experience, proper e-mail handling....etc....would go along way in curtailing system resources. The anti-trojan\virus folks would go hungry if they waited for me to purchase there programs but fortunately the market is there and will always be there.

As for your question....I'm not sure there can be a consensus given the fact there has not to my knowledge been any extensive testing between programs that monitor certain registry keys and processes like Tea Timer does. I have not come across any official post or comments explaining\showing every process that Tea Timer watches for.

Perhaps a consensus needs to be pared down to what programs need to be compared to each other so testing can be done ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  13. Dazed_and_Confused

I didn't detect a consensus. Depends on your preferences and your current security arsenal.

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No, it is not a consensus that Tea Timer is not worth installing! It does things that no mere Registry monitor can do - unfortunately no one seems able/willing to give a detailed account of these additional features.

I've been happily running SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, Tea Timer all together for some months. Now I am trialing Giant AS as well - without conflicts so far! If I could be sure Giant is definately covering all the functions of SG, SB & TT, I'd happily drop them. But I'm still waiting for this assurance!

I am also running WinPatrol for Reg monitoring (and am keeping a close eye on RegWatcher). All this duplication is not a good idea - but what to leave off?

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Agreed. But Spyware Blaster is not a Stay-Resident program as the other two are. It's not even a scanner. Therefore, takes no resources. :)

16. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No, but there is still potential conflict of function; which is what I was referring to. Up until a few days/weeks ago, if you used Giant's innoculation capability you knocked out some items from SB's protection list (and vice versa). Fortunately this problem has now been sorted, but who knows, there may be others! :)

17. Dazed_and_Confused

Good point. I stand corrected. ;)

18. unholyone

This is a point. Look at Daiseys (dazed & Confudes) security she has on her PC.

Security Portfolio: TDS-3; PortExplorer; ProcessGuard; Wormguard; CryptoSuite; NOD32; ZoneAlarm Pro; RoboForm Pro; Spybot S&D; SpywareBlaster; SpySweeper; AdAware; WindowsWasher; MJ RegistryWatcher;

Now I don't see an Anti-virus inclided but with all that running system resources are low are they not?

I don't know anything about DS-3; PortExplorer; ProcessGuard; Wormguard; CryptoSuite; NOD32; RoboForm Pro; SpySweeper; AdAware; WindowsWasher; MJ RegistryWatcher; so I don't know if all are needed or not seems like overkill and drain on the system.

I currently Use AVG Pro 7 Anti-virus, SpywareBlaster, Spybot (without Tea Timer), Zone Alarm Pro, and will be installing BoClean for Trojans. I am thinking about AdWare also. But how much is to much before your system is drained where you cannot operate properly meaning running your normal programs such as word processors and graphic software.

Woody

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have had quite a few problems with processguard 3 so I uninstalled it and turned on tea timer and it is working pretty well with no problems yet.

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

NOD32 is her antivirus - and most of the applications mentioned are not going to be running resident.

SWB doesn't run at all after setting its protection except to update.
    The free version of Ad-Aware is used only to scan on-demand. I believe the same applies to Spysweeper and WindowsWasher.
    Spybot is also for scanning on-demand with the exception of Tea-Timer. In my case, I have Tea-Timer installe but simply shut it off whenever I'm not using IE (which is most of the time) since I use FF.
    I also don't think CyptoSuite will have a resident process either - though I may well be mistaken - I only tried the proggie out - quite impressive but just not something I feel I need at this time.

21. Dazed_and_Confused

Correct. :)

Correct. :)

I always use an IE Shell. But I disabled TT because I use MJRW. More powerful and comprehensive IMO. ;)

Correct, again! :D

Thanks, Detox :D

22. Dazed_and_Confused

Really sorry to hear that, BigC. :'( I'll have to go over to the PG forum to get the details. No (substantial) problems here!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2004
  23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Umm... I am *fairly* certain that Tea Timer polls for registry changes. If I am correct, then there is no way that Tea Timer can know a change has been made until after the change takes place. Therefore, if the user declines the change, Tea Timer THEN reverts the registry item back to its previous state.

Concerning which, it might be useful to read...
    _/ Post #65 HERE.
    _/ Posts #132 & #135 & #145 HERE.

It would be helpful if someone, who knows how to run an actual TEST of Tea Timer on this matter, would do so.

24. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I didn't even go to the PG forum I just got tired of it blocking almost everything that was allowed and yanked it out. It will probably take the three other apps I have that work in that line to fill the gap.

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

:) I reckon we can split hairs if picky is your suit....and yes....technically at that split second in time an entry is being written to the registry and a split second later Tea Timer presents it's registry change pop up.

As for an actual test....I believe even you could accomplish that yourself given a little knowledge of a simple program like RegMon. Make a simple change of your Home Page and watch the action begin.

Edit:
    TeaTimer in action as the change is being attempted to change the Home page. As was said....the entry is written to the registry and if Deny Change is selected....the Old data: is written back from the polling info it holds in memory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.