Spybot question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bigben, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Please don't anybody take this wrong but ...developing documentation takes time...and it can't interfere with testing and app development or folks start bitching about that too.

TeaTimer and SDHelper are extra features that don't have to be used. If there is a question or concern they can be disabled until the answers come. TeaTimer is brand new and went through some serious beta trials and is still being tweaked. SDHelper and it lack documetation but Patrick promised and it will come. It will come.

As for who is Team Spybot. It is made up of Patrick and several employees in Germany, and its made up of several volunteers who are all approved by Patrick. If you want a breakdown of employees and volunteers I'd suggest asking Patrick cause I really have no idea. I just know Patrick approves the Team members.

I've seen the complaints and comments about TT, SDHelper and Team Spybot around a number of places in the past few days complaining about lack of documentation, slow responses, etc. But it was just a few days ago Patrick indicated the docs where coming. Please folks give the Team some time. Remember they still have to answers thousands of emails, test malware and bugs everyday, manage servers that handle tens of thousands of downloads, manage and filter thousands and thousands of emails just to name a few. And they actually get to have a real life too :) team Spybot is more than a few folks with Avatars who answer a few questions They are typically very busy trying to handle all the things most folks will never see that have to be done so everyone gets the app, support, updates and documentation.

Folks, a little patient and understanding is all that is desired.

I hope this finds everyone well

Have a great day :)

Ahmad

2. black

black Guest

Yeah. (said in a deep low monotone voice)

3. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Eagle1, good advice.

After reading this thread and a couple more, I was going to wait for a couple more editions before trying the new Spybot.

Yesterday I decided to wait no longer.

I installed on two pc' last night.

my observations:

+ new version is excellent, and great improvement over 1.2

+ I gained disk space with the new 1.3 version (2.5% on one pc)
    + Scan was faster with 1.3 (60% faster on one pc)
    + 1.3 start-up was faster
    + for novice user, default mode is enough, but going to advanced mode offers the additional tools
    + I did not install tea timer, nor the BH (I will wait for more documentation)

1)Install went very smooth.

I decided to do a clean install.

a) I De-installed version 1.2. A little wierd here, using add/remove software
    it calls up Spybot, where you click on File > uninstall and you are done just close Spybot 1.2 delete the SB S&D program folder.

b) restart pc
    c) I used a registry cleaning program (jv16 on 1 pc & regcleaner on the other) to search for Spybot debris and to delete the program from the add/remove list
    d) ran the 1.3 install program

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

5. strongarm

strongarm Guest

One thing i didn't see mentioned here is did everyone remove all protection in Spybot 1.2 before deleting it and installing 1.3 as we did with SpywareBlaster before the upgrade to 3.1? I did.

6. peakaboo

I too removed all immunization/protection in Spybot 1.2 for the 1 pc where I used this feature, forgot to mention that.

also on the 1.3 install, I left my AV running, I saw this suggestion somewhere, normally when installing software I close all Aps.

[hr]

hojtsy,

thanks for compiling that list of monitored reg keys for TeaTimer

I played with Tea Timer a little, to see the mem load, would really like to see some safe exploits which we could run against an invoked Tea Timer vs non invoked

neat how with the point of mouse you can invoke this resident and then do the same to deactivate.

7. peakaboo

Is it just me?

I dl'd the latest SS&D update: English help for teatimer add on - update 26/05/04

this is the info I got:

Resident is Spybot-S&D's permanently running partner that does on-access scanning. This means that it will instantly detect and counteract to threats and unsolicitited system settings changes.

Program message:
    Spybot - Search & Destroy has encountered and terminated a process that is listed as part of a malicious software.

Definition
    Spybot-S&D Resident watches all applications that are being started on your computer. It knows the same bad files as the on-demand scanner of Spybot-S&D, and if it encounters an application that is known as a threat, it will automatically terminate this application.

User interactions
    After the process has been terminated, you are presented with a few choices. You can assign the action Resident should take the next time it encounters this threat (like automatically killing it), and/or deleting the offending file.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q: Why does Resident terminate the application before asking?
    A: Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated before they can connect at all, at the moment they appear.

_____

hoping future updates will sketch out what is protected maybe something on the order of what hojtsy compiled but at an upper level. Also what threats besides dialers would be terminated... etc.

any other info like invoking tea timer, and disabling tea timer
    _____

I noticed for example when I played with tea timer, it dropped a new reg key for tea timer in on my startup which stayed check, even though I disabled tea timer, luckily I saw it in Spybot tools startup cause it does eat a little memory.

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi, I tried to download the Help file and was told it had a bad Checksum. I see your post was May 26 and possibly the checksum was OK and is now not OK. I started May 27th.

So here's my SBSaD log of those events.
    2004-05-27 19:37:38 Downloaded update info file. (http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    2004-05-27 19:37:54 downloaded update English help for TeaTimer
    2004-05-27 19:37:54 - URL: http://spybotsd.de.s310.evanzo-server.de/updates/files/helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-27 19:37:54 - Local file: C:\AppsSoft\Security\SSD\Updates\helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-27 19:37:54 - FILE REJECTED because of bad checksum
    2004-05-29 10:09:46 Downloaded update info file. (http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    2004-05-29 10:09:55 downloaded update English help for TeaTimer
    2004-05-29 10:09:55 - URL: http://spybotsd.de.s310.evanzo-server.de/updates/files/helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-29 10:09:55 - Local file: C:\AppsSoft\Security\SSD\Updates\helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-29 10:09:55 - FILE REJECTED because of bad checksum
    2004-05-29 10:29:52 Downloaded update info file. (http://security.kolla.de/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    2004-05-29 10:30:09 downloaded update English help for TeaTimer
    2004-05-29 10:30:09 - URL: http://spybotsd.de.s310.evanzo-server.de/updates/files/helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-29 10:30:09 - Local file: C:\AppsSoft\Security\SSD\Updates\helpres.english.zip
    2004-05-29 10:30:09 - FILE REJECTED because of bad checksum

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I was able to download the help file when it was first issued to my PC without problem but a day later I had bad checksum on my laptop - I just changed the server I was downloading from and the file downloaded without problem. Try another server from the GUI of Spybot and this should resolve if for you.

10. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Thanks Robyn, that worked perfectly, I was using the European server, now I'm on tne U.S. one, Jim

11. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Is there any benefit to running TeaTimer with AdWatch? I have a registered verison of AdAware Pro...it comes with AdWatch....seems like it does the same thing as TeaTimer. Anyone know?

12. j2callie

j2callie Registered Member

internet cafe security

This is intriguing. How did you "take" Spybot to the internet cafe, and how did you get it to clean up? Did they allow installation of software on their computers? (No wonder they had spyware.)

I will be traveling and do NOT want to take a laptop etc with me, but do ALL my banking etc online, so really want to figure out how to do it at various public (ie of questionable security) computers.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Callie

13. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

all i can say is spybot, spywareblaster and adaware SE all 3 together work great. i only use the sd helper in spybot. i didnt like the constant popup things with teatimer. good prg. , but found it annoying while surfing my favorite places. with thew way i have these 3 prgs runing they do a great job and i highly reccommend all 3 to anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.