Spy Sweeper new build 5.2.3.2132 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Spy Sweeper new build 5.2.3.2132 released.

As usual, no changelog is available.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Chubb:thumb:

it done the same thing as last time it gave me the download for 5.0 version.
    can you give me the link which i put me email address in to download the newer version?
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  3. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

What about BSODs and reboots with this build?

4. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

The only thing this newest build has done is to shut me out of using the anti-virus module(s) for either scanning or shielding. NO av at all.

I've submitted several problem reports, but, like earlier this year, they have not responded. I'm starting to think that maybe it's time to move on from SS even though I just re-upped with them until early 2009. The high resource overhead and sluggish performance of the app is starting to get old.

//

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a great tool with good detection but with the bugs it really is getting old.
    when ever i exit it stays problem with exiting and do you want to stop application restart. i cant remember the other option.
    I think the last good version of spy sweeper was 3.5 which was the first version I had.
    now they just add more shields without fixing the old ones and even try to add anti virus to it ugh.

lodore

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Truly, dont bother with this bloated octopus.
    What update from successfulV4.5 now: ??no 6 or so inthe last 6 months:catastrophic implementation.
    Would you tolerate this from KAV, NOD, Symantec, Agnitum??
    Was a fast lean mean fighting machine, now fat bloated old toad.
    Trying to draw peeps into the "suite"
    Nghtmare memuse and slowdowns
    Hostsfile issue not fixed since v4.o (if you think hostsfile is important)
    Conflicts afaics with NPF, McAfee., Zonealarm
    locks other scanning tools
    etc etc
    The only good press you will find is from paid boosters or ridiculous mag promos.

IMO: tremendous shame.
    Flick it
    Why do you want it anyway (other than having a valid licence and hpoing for the best :gack: )

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I think Spysweeper is now analogous to Norton...excellent protection, but a bloated resource hog. I just uninstalled it and my computer feels liks a new machine.

There are so many other good options today, there is no reason to keep bloatware on your system.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mines running out in January 24th i think so i will get a replacement then.

is avg antispyware a good replacement?
    or a squared antimalware?
    lodore

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

AVG is good, but I believe that the free version does nto give you the active protection. Solid on demand scanner.

A good freebie with active protection (which is more important than having a good on demand in my opinion) is Spyware Terminator. This program also has HIPS which you can turn on or off. Superantispyware also has a good on demand scanner an it is free.

My favorite thoug presently is Spyware Doctor.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.
    i was thinking about the avg antispyware payed version but im not sure if i need it.

once i get rid of f-secure and install kaspersky i will install the free version of av antispyware because with f-secure it has an annoying FP.
    lodore

11. ejr

ejr Registered Member

The best advice I can give you is to make certain you get something that has active/realtime protection. Preventing spyware from getting on your machine in the first place is so much better than detecting and removing it.

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi lodore,

Here is the link

http://www.webroot.com/updates/redownload/request?

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do you think webroot will improve spy sweeper or will it continue to go down hill?
    mainly i want it lighter less bugs and in the non av version i dont want any signs saying av scan or click here to get av protection added.
    lodore

15. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I think the exact opposite of what you want to happen is going to happen. I think that adding AV was just the first step to webroot putting out an "Internet Security" suite. Webroot already has a separate Firewall product. I can see them lumping them all together into an even bigger, more resource hogging program.

Spysweeper has gone the route of Norton in my opinion and is now dead to me. I still think it provides excellent protection, but at too big of a resource price. I want my security products to be "lean and mean" (like Nod32) not resource hogging pieces of bloatware.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with you.
    my first step in lighter security is kis6.0 replacing f-secure.
    next step if my dad lets me is replacing spy sweeper with something else.
    i think webroot is being idiots everyone has an av already or should do.
    the way the av is implemented is rubbish.
    5.0 seemed to lose alot of people who used spy sweeper and most migrated to superantispyware.
    what is avg antispyware antispyware detection rate like?
    i know its a great antitrojan but i want to know what the antispyware is like.

does trend micro anti spy work alongside kis6.0?
    because ive head alot of good things about it.
    also i find it odd that trend micro antispy isnt on the trusted antispyware list on spyware warrier

lodore

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  17. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Ultimately, I hope to get my suite down to 2 programs. Comodo Firewall in January will be releasing V3 of their firewall. It will have HIPS and a Sandbox. I'm thinking that I will be able to run Comodo V3 and NOD and that could be all I need.

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am not aware of any new betas, for example, for Vista, but it seems they are going towards their own direction without hearing too much from the beta testers. I have a feeling that, they just only want to fix bugs, without taking testers' comments into account. In Webroot's opinion, you just need Spy Sweeper 5.2 with AV, so they just don't want to sacrifice their functionality when SS is not compatability with other security software, because in their mind, there is no need to tweak SS to compatabile with others. You just only need SS. Just wild guess, maybe I am wrong. I am lucky that SS is running OK in my system, but they are losing a lot of customers by having the shields to slow down the users' computers. Webroot in the mean time should focus more on compataibility and stability issues instead of adding more new features.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

they should listen to there beta testers more.
    and should make the shields they currently have better and less usage and more stable.
    and in the non av version get rid of the av bits even the buttons.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.