Spoilt for choice: PGvSSMvPS...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I want one of these to run with NAV/NIS, PrevX and BOClean.
    (Spywareblaster in background)

I'm not really sure what I'm doing but want some app guard, reg protection tool.
    There may be some overlap I realize.

PG still the iron fist; the first ,and still the best? Awaiting major announcements from DCS for some time. Have patriotic duty to support Aussie goodies. ;)

PS and SSM seem to be dynamic new kids on the block and gaining ground on if not already past PG

Not really keen on sandbox type tools

Opinions, experience anyone.
    Thx

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SSM my choice if no conflicts with NIS/ NAV.
    Much broader range of protection, has a free version as well.
    Good support and dynamic development.
    PG development is slow atm.
    Never tried PS though.

3. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

I've tried SSM PG and GSS.

PG was really good in the begining, and still is. But when you compare it to its competition (SSM, PS, GSS) there is no contest.

It seems like SSM, PS, and GSS can all do the exact same thing as PG and at the same time also have a lot of other features that PG doesn't.

PG is good if you want to stay away from all the popups/questions/features/advanced options that the other HIPS have. It's really simple. You turn on the protection, set which apps can execute and which apps can't, and set it to protect your other security apps from termination. You rarely get any popups after that.

I never tried PS yet but it is next on my list.

I am a big fan of AppDefend (GSS), but there haven't been any updates in a very long time and the forum doesn't feel alive like it used to. I don't know what Jason is doing but hopefully he is still working on it and planning on surprising us soon.

Anyways, for now SSM looks like it is being actively developed. A new beta with new features keep popping up all the time. It looks like it has a bright future ahead of it. Only thing I dislike about it is that it takes up more memory on my PC than the other HIPS.

PS is also looking good but like I said, I haven't tried it yet so I can't really say anything about it at the moment.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thankyou

?how much
    For me:
    BoClean ~11000k for two processes
    PrevX 20000k
    SpySweeper exe: 8000k ( not started as service : awaiting uninstall)

Regards

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

SSM tops the list at the moment imo due to its effectiveness and the added bonus that there is a free version available.
    Ghost security suite is also very good, very light and has a limited free version.

6. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

I don't remember the exact numbers but SSM was about 20,000-30,000 while GSS was under 10,000 :thumb:

And I think SSM use only 1 process while GSS uses 2. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone can confirm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.