Speeding up TOR

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Searching_ _ _, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Every time I try TOR it is sluggish.
    I've downloaded the latest TOR Browser Bundle.

How are people getting decent speeds 1mbps dl, are they on a T1 line?
    I'm checking places around the world sticking to 3 bars and still sluggish.
    Is there tweaking to Polipo or TOR to improve the speeds?

I'm not Torrenting just surfing. The speed improvement advice I've found is related to Torrents.

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I have a 7MB line and many times I have to reconnect to get some good speed.

Tor is still slow, but it has improved a lot.

If you have a slow connection and live in a bad place, meaning the routes you hop over aren't good, well it's going to be slow...

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The new Tor browser bundle notice seems to indicate it was designed to be used without the polipo proxy.

When I had a 56k modem and tried Tor - that was slow.

I now have a 15Mbps/2Mbps line and Tor speed is decent, however, I am not using the new Tor bowser bundle.

-- Tom

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. The_Blode

The_Blode Registered Member

One of the advantages of Vidalia is ease of use. You can make small tweaks by editing the torrc file to improve speeds but they aren't guaranteed. More info on these tweaks can be found here.

If you really want to get the best speeds from the TOR network, you have to use something like AdvTor, the advanced TOR client. It can be downloaded @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/advtor/ You can define your own routes with this program. Use this website for information on entry and exit nodes https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/.

I've written about Vidalia, AdvTor and many other services here.

Blode.

5. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thanks Blode for the links. I had a good read.

6. The_Blode

You're welcome.

Blode.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Blode,

Nice work on reviewing the "Best Free Anonymous Surfing Services".

Just to note, however, AdvTor is for Windows users only.

Within the Linux/Unix realm, Tork is my preferred alternative to Vidalia as a Tor controller, even though it hasn't been updated to more recent KDE interfaces, it is available and works in Kubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) and Ubuntu 10.10.

-- Tom

8. The_Blode

Thanks dude. You know what, I think TorK does deserve a mention in my article, even if it hasn't been updated in a while. Always keen to learn about new anonymity programs regardless of OS.

Blode.

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Nice article Blode.
    When is part 2 coming?

My goal with TOR is to not have web pages take 10 seconds or more to render (even Google.com takes 10 seconds or more).

Is AdvTOR a complete solution like the TOR Browser Bundle or should I get a tweaked browser to run with AdvTOR? ex. JohnDoFox

10. The_Blode

Part 2? Upcoming additions include;

* Polippix
    * Your Freedom
    * FoxyProxy
    * I2P
    * Images!
    * BestFreeVPN
    * FreeOpenVPN
    * Project Loki
    * VPN Steel
    * TorK

AdvTor is not a complete solution as you still need a good browser to get high levels of anonymity. I highly recommend JonDoFox as it's includes all the necessary plugins to keep you as anonymous as possible. However, the Tor browser will suffice and the i2p browser will too. Any browser will do as long as you can control history, Java, Javascript, cookies etc

One way of getting pages to render faster is to use ImageBlock for Firefox if you don't need images. Alternatively, choose Tor nodes that are located within your country or have a high speed connection.

Best of luck,

Blode.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The firefox settings don't do anything, I've tried them and the torrc might of done a little.

I also use Linux most of the time and very rarely use Windows, so I see with this post as most it's always assumed everyone uses Windows...

Granted the majority of users here I'm sure use Windows, but I fail to see where speeding up Tor is only a Windows world issue...

When we share on a subject that can relate to another OS, especially something like Tor, let's not discount the others...

To be honest if you really care about your security you wouldn't even use Windows, just use it for the small things if they are needed...

THANKS

12. The_Blode

Most of the links I posted relate to Tor users on Linux boxes too. Also, my article includes cross-platform and Linux software. I don't understand the reasons for your rant (probably because there aren't any real ones). This particular poster seems to be a Windows user. :)

Thanks.

Blode.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

My bad, I don't know what I was looking when I made the post and I did see solutions for Linux....

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.