speaker, audio issues.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by oneto33, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneto33

oneto33 Registered Member

i'm really confused about something. okay, well i have an xp pro. comp and obviously i have speakers. the thing is after sometime the speakers will cease to work with my programs. they are on and everything, but when i go to either winamp or windows media player and try to play a song nothing happens. i double click and no music. the counter does not even beginto count the minutes the song would have done if it was working. now, i know they are wokring because when i log on and off i can hear the shut down and log on music. i don't know what to do. this has never happened before and i have checked all my computer settings to make sure they are enabled etc. please, can anyone help me?

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have had similar simptoms you describe. There is software that came with my sound card allowing it to be configured for two or four speakers. Depending on which you chose, one of the jacks on the card switches from an input to an output port. I had rear speakers in this port, then when the driver screwed up and made the port an input port, the card wouldn't work.

when I say the card wouldn't work I mean that when you tried to play a song, the seconds didn't move, not just that I couldn't here the sound.

So anyway this is most likely a sound card driver issue. Try to find a newer driver from the manufacturer if you can.

3. oneto33

hi, that is exactly what is happening. i have the soundman program, but it seems to have dissappeared from my taskbar, next to the clock. i'm not sure where else to find it. so should i try to find a new driver download for the soundman program or for the soundcard...how would i find out what kind of sound card i have? thanks for all your help.

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Sorry I took so long, lost the thread.

it is possible the soundman app is part or or bundled with the driver. I would start with the card itself. Once I got that working, the software on my machine worked also (my software is not called soundman) You can search for that name on google and probablely find it in 5 minutes.

As for the card, I had to take mine out and put it back in again. I tried to just remove it from device manager, but then when I detected changes to have it pop back on the list as a new device it didn't. So I had to take it out, restart, shut down put it back in, start up again, card gets detected, install driver.

Before you remove it, see what device manager says about it. It might not even show up right now, then you have to take it out to read the chip name of the card, then google for that. Then find a driver for it once you know what it is.

5. oneto33

do you think it would be easier to just reformat my computer. i mean would that help? i am planning on doing so sooner or later...

6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

lol well it would not be as fast, but it would be more guaranteed. I'm sure it would solve your problem.

If you are going to anyway, you might as well. If you were hoping to squeak a few more months out of the install first, then maybe not.

Its your computer so the end decision must be made by you.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i had that problem.i called up the shop where the computer was sold,and they told me what to download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.