Spam emails coming from my wife's account?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by vincenzo, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

My wife tells me that some of her friends have received spam advertisement emails that show my wife's name in the "FROM" field.

Her antivirus scan comes up clean. How can I determine if she is infected, or if someone is just spoofing her account name?

Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

apart from scanning it with more security software change the password just in case

3. vincenzo

I am running Malwarebytes right now, remotely.

There are no spams shown in the Outbox of Outlook, so it appears the spam did not come from her computer.

But her contact list must be compromised since her contacts are receiving spam, that has her name in the message ie "Susan just bought a new widescreen tv" and has a link in the message.

Since the bad guys have her contact list, does that necessarily mean that her computer is infected?

Thanks

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

As a minimum addition to the scanners that you have already used, I would also scan with:

1. SuperAntiSpyware Portable (Scan in Safe Mode.)

2. Dr.Web Cureit (Scan in Safe Mode. Even if the Express Scan does not find anything, I would do a Full Scan which may take several hours.)

3. Hitman Pro (Requires an Internet connection to work since it is "Cloud" based.)

5. vincenzo

Thanks for the info.

Three different scans all have come up clean.

I see now that the addresses that are getting the spam from her account are not in her Outlook address book but she says they are in her Comcast webmail address book. And when I tried to login in to the webmail, it did not accept the usual password. so now I am suspecting that the Comcast webmail has been hijacked. She is going to contact Comcast and get the password changed, then log in and see what is going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.