SP2 Problem ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bill Jackson, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson Registered Member

When True Image was new it was offered for $10. if the buyer had Norton Ghost installed on their computer. I took advantage of that offer and have since upgraded (for ~$30.) to version 7.0 build 589. When I upgraded I noticed that having Norton Ghost was still a requirement for my setup. Now I read that Norton System Works (containing Ghost) won't work with Windows SP2. Is there a workaround other than buying the version of True Image that doesn't require Ghost to be installed? Tks for any thoughts.

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

You can check with Acronis about whether you can get a workaround. However, even if Ghost will not work with SP2 can you install it? The True Image installation program would only be checking for the presence of Ghost and it would not matter whether Ghost worked or not if you are not using it. After TI is installed you can probably remove Ghost from your system.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Your statement sounds quite strange because Acronis True Image doesn't depend (and never did) on Norton Ghost. You do not need to have any additional software to use with Acronis True Image (except UDF writing software if you store images to DVDs). There are some compatibility problems with Norton GoBack however but they are described at our site http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#18

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis True Image please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Bill Jackson

Hi Ilya - I guess my situation pre dates your employment w/ Acronis.
    When TI was first introduced, a deal was offered by Acronis. One could buy the program at a reduced price of aprox $10. There was one restriction and that was that Norton Ghost be installed on the same computer that was to be used for TI. At the time (as well as now) I had Norton System Works (including Ghost) installed and the $10. version of TI worked very well.
    Some time later I upgraded TI to V7.0 build 589 and and Ghost was *still* a requirement even though I paid full price for the upgrade. No problem.
    However *now* there is a problem. I have read that Norton System Works will not work with Windows SP2. I'm not sure if "will not work" means that it can't be installed, or after installation, it can't be used. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks.
    Bill

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Why don't you try and install Systemworks and if it installs then you can upgrade TI and then uninstall Systemworks. As I mentioned previously, the presence of Systemworks or Ghost would only be checked on installation of TI and not be required to make TI function properly.

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Have you actually installed SP2 or are you researching possible problems of installing it. Can you clarify whether you actually have a problem with TI or just perceive that you may have if you install SP2.

7. UserAcr

UserAcr Guest

Hi

Strange... I never knew Acronis and Norton ever used any common technology.

When you answered that offer to install at 10 bucks, did you have to give any evidence to Acronis that Ghost was already present? In which case, this might have been a commercial offer, as some firewalls vendors sometimes perform (offering a deduct on their product provided the presence of another firewall has been proven). Don't know if that's an elegant selling strategy, nor if Acronis ever did this kind of offer. but worth considering if it can in some way explain what you're referring to.

Anyway, since Acronis works well on your system, 1/ make an image of system, 2/ install sp2 and 3/ try to save a second image using Acronis again. If the second image is not possible nor working, you have your answer AND your first image to revert to.

Keep us informed as I'm interested in your story's development.

Regards

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill,

I have to correct myself. You are right, several years ago we had this offer for Norton Ghost users. However, it concerned very old version of Acronis True Image that is even not supported by Acronis any more. Actually we support Acronis True Image 8.0 (and other editions such as server or enterprise edition).

If you have any previous version of Acronis True Image you may purchase the upgrade to Acronis True Image 8.0 at our on-line store http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/upgrade/ You do not need to have any additional sotware such as Norton Ghost installed. Also I can assure you that Acronis True Image 8.0 will work properly under Windows XP with SP2 installed. If you encounter any problems with our software please feel free to contact us via e-mail support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Bill,

I got this ......

Norton SystemWorks
    Installing Service Pack 2 will not affect Norton SystemWorks. The Windows Security Center, which is a component of Windows XP Service Pack 2, will be aware that you have Norton SystemWorks installed, but it will not be able to determine its working status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Symantec has released an update which adds compatibility to the Windows Security Center so that it may report the status of your Symantec security software. This update is included in Norton SystemWorks 2005 and is available by LiveUpdate for Norton SystemWorks 2002/2003/2004. The update will install on Windows XP, but will not take effect unless you have the Windows Security Center installed.

... from http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#4

10. Bill Jackson

Hi pjb024 - Thanks so much for all your ideas and research. I've been reading (too much?) of problems associated with SP2 and, because the current iteration of my computer is running so well, I've decided to relegate it to "assistant" with no web privileges. Sort of a giant Leatherman. :) Now I must decide what to make the boss. Another Windows PC?, Linux?, Mac? I've hung in with Windows since the beginning. Maybe it's time for a change.
    Regards - Bill

11. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi Bill

I have thought long and hard about taking the plunge with Linux and it's very tempting. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to take.

Paul

12. Bill Jackson

Hi Ilya - I must tell you that TI and Recovery Expert are two fine programs and worth every bit of the ~$30. I've already spent. For this reason I must decline your offer to sell me yet another version for $30. I'll try your other suggestion on my next computer.
    <<<1/ make an image of system, 2/ install sp2 and 3/ try to save a second image using Acronis again. If the second image is not possible nor working, you have your answer AND your first image to revert to.>>>
    But of course if I'm forced to "revert", I still have a problem. One that I may look elsewhere to solve.
    Bill Jackson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.