SP Desktop and individual files

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hugger, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Can Shadowprotect Desktop for XP Pro take an individual file or a new program and insert it into my baseline image?
    Example:
    I take a backup image of XP with all updates and whatever programs I would be sure I'd use in the future.
    During the course of the next 6 months I make numerous backups and save those too.
    I decide that I want to save 3 or 4 of the programs that I'm using. Can I back them up to the original baseline backup so that they would work in the event that I had to restore the original image?
    If yes, how?
    If no, then what reliable program would let me do that?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You could add the program installers, so when you restored you'd have them and could install. But no, for installed programs though. The way you would do it is mount the image with the original system, and mount it write enabled. You would assign it a drive letter. Then copy the files to that drive letter, and when you dismount it would create an incremental with those files. You would then collapse the incremental into the main image, and when you restored you'd have your original system with those files. You could then install the programs.

Pete

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Hi, Pete.
    Thanks for the info.
    It almost sounds like it would be easier to use Genie, or one of the other file backup programs, and then just install the software I wanted if I revert to the original image and then add in the files from Genie.
    If somebody writes the code for an imaging program that does what I'm looking for they'd make a small fortune.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hugger

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I save all the installer software on other drives also. I am not sure it would be possible to restore an installed program, do to it's being intertwined with the system, registry, etc.

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks, Pete.
    Truly a revoltin developement.
    Hugger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.