Sources of (pseudo)randomness in ASLR

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gullible Jones, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just a couple of ASLR related questions:

1. What sorts of (pseudo)random number generators are usually used for ASLR?

2. Could some of the ones used in cryptography - e.g. Blowfish's key generator - be of use for randomizing memory allocations?

(Also, am I making sense?)

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's just a few bits of entropy - it works by allocating memory to the location that the program would normally allocate, and to avoid a collision it then allocates to a new area.

Not sure what's behind it, or how the address is generated, but it's handled natively by windows.

Realizing that you're talking about ASLR and not PseudoASLR.

I can't speak for Windows, but on Linux I believe entropy is gathered from various sources. It depends on whether it uses random or urandom. But things like mouse movements and key presses will increase entropy.

3. Ah, I was thinking it would use pseudorandom numbers. My thought was that maybe a higher quality pseudorandom number generator could make it more powerful.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It does. But the generator needs to be seeded by different sources. A better generator would lead to better ASLR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.