Sophos Anti-Virus and EM Library

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bsilva, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has any experience with Sophos' Anti-Virus and their new Enterprise Manager? I am currently testing it for my servers. Opinions are welcomed.

Thanks.

2. techguy3

techguy3 Registered Member

I have some experience with installing this, although it has mostly been with the SBE and the SBE Suite editions.

I hate to say it but I haven't had a first-time successful install yet.
    So far, it's probably been installed at 5-6 clients of which some were using a previous version but most were a completely fresh install.

The best place I installed it was a small network where it went in fairly flawlessly but still took til the second install.

There seems to be intermittent issues with it updating. It needs ports opening in the windows firewall of the workstations (8192 to install, then 8193 and 8194 to update) that I can't find listed in any of the manuals (was advised this by their support department), and it has generally been the cause of a few headaches over the last month or so.

I tried to install it on the network at my office onto just the engineer pc's. Of 4 pc's and a server (sbs 2003, and 4 windows xp sp2 machines), it installed on the server and 2 workstations flawlessly, the other 2 - one was reported as an unsupported operating system and the other stated some kind of registry problem.

When I attempted a central installation on a network of 40-45 machines, it would only automatically install it on 4 of them. The 4 were a mixture of windows xp and windows 98 pc's, some with xp firewall on, some without. There seems to be no common ground amongst them. One of the ones it WOULD install on is a particular make/model/setup of pc that I know for a fact that there is at least another 5-10 machines of on the same site.

The weirdest so far has been a small network of under 10 pc's. They are all connected to the same one SBS 2003 server, and amongst the 10 pc's are two brand new machines - identical make/model/updates/software - everything. On one of these machines, Sophos will install. On the other, it states some kind of logon rights problem. This issue is ongoing with Sophos as of the current time.

These have all been of the SBE versions thus far. Would love to hear if anyone else has had more success than I have.

3. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Ouch sounds like you have your hands full. I've have installed on Win2003 Server, XP SP1, and a netware server. Once I had the right package it installed fine. Though, I am finding small things with updating in the console. For example in the console the Win2003 server says it's up to date and the xp machine is not. The IDEs on the xp machine (117) says it newer than the Win2003 (113) server. Though if I look at the anti-virus client on the server it actually 117 also.

Luckily this is only going on my servers, so it won't be that may to install it on. We use NOD32 on the end users stations.

Currently we are using Symantec on our servers. The way they do updates is unacceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.