Sophos Anti-Rootkit 1.3 release candidate

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Any idea just how fat this installer is? I already seen several commercial AV ventures into this new field for them release their version and they are bloated at best. Not to say they don't carry out a worthwhile purpose but there are independent developers who already run circles around those, one in particular is RKUnhooker. I'm not a fan of Gmer nor can be since it pukes on my system (others report ok), but there is another one. Both of those are Xtremely lightweight but contain quality detections and in the case of RKU easily strikes down interference code back to it's default.

While it's noble of AV vendors to extend themselves yet once again, :cool: (firewalls,hips, etc.), it apparently carries with that compiling a hefty deal of code thus making them heavier and not exactly as useful as those already fashioned so far, Ice Sword etc. Only my own opinion from experience if that counts for anything useful. LoL

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

According to MajorGeeks it weighs in at 1.11MB.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Much better Install weight. Time & technology has evolved enough IMO where Xtreme large installs like $M .NET and the likes are not Logical nor practical in the modular sense whereas plenty of super-efficient programs & libraries can perform just fine a the more acceptable & trimmed scale of at least a few MB and not some exhorbatant huge infiltration that's going to require the hard drive and system to sort thru all those additional files anyway, plus it slows response. Simple Logic. The slimmer and trimmer the quicker and more often than not less problematic with some issue or two.

Thanks the Tester. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.