Something Odd with Folder Names .. WinXP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SirBandit, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirBandit

SirBandit Registered Member

Hello All,

I use WinXP Pro (32bit) and the top two folders on C: drive, have odd names - numbers and letters, like so - c:\9cd13a11d34ebe845bd2b79ad7 and C:\28c2d445f98f9ea27a. I think this happened after a Window's Update, but I'm not 100% sure. Inside the first folder c:\9cd13a11d34ebe845bd2b79ad7 there are two folders - amd64 and i386. Inside the amd64 folder there are 7 files and total size for the 7 files is 3.68 mb. The i386 folder also has the same 7 files with total of 2.44 mb. I wonder what the real name of this folder should be? I would like to rename it to it's proper name or maybe even remove it. That's if it isn't required? Here are the 7 file names. filterpipelineprintproc.dll, msxpsdrv.cat, msxpsdrv.inf, msxpsinc.gpd, msxpsinc.ppd, mxdwdrv.dll and xpssvcs.dll.

The C:\28c2d445f98f9ea27a folder. Inside this folder are 6 files. DHtmlHeader.html, header.bmp, HotFixInstaller.exe, NDP20SP2-KB958481.msp, NDP20SP2-KB958481.msp, ParameterInfo.xml and watermark.bmp. There are 25 sub-folders under C:\28c2d445f98f9ea27a and a total of 56 files. The total mb is 10.98 mb. The sub-folders are named like so - 1025, 1028, 1029 and so on.

If you are using WinXP Pro, perhaps you know what the names of these folders should be and if they can be removed or not. Thank You!

(Hope I have put this post in the right place on the board? Sorry if it isn't where it should be.)

--
    SB
    --

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

bandit, i find similar folders myself after windows update, i always delete them after updating has finished up, and have never had any troubles with it.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

What chrome_sturmen says. I believe they are leftovers from Windows Update installations, or from some other Microsoft installation.

For example I installed .Net Framework 2.0 yesterday and observed the installer unpacking the installer files to my e: drive before starting the install process.

AFAIK those randomly named folders should be deleted automatically at the end of the installation. I am running XP Home and have none of them left in any drives.

4. SirBandit

SirBandit Registered Member

Thank You .. chrome_sturmen and lordpake. I'll get rid of them. Much Appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.