something odd when using online banking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mister_t, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mister_t

mister_t Registered Member

I started to notice that when I logged out of my online bank site (natwest) that another very small IE window would pop up and then disappear almost imediately. This was happening every time I logged out.

I have since switched to firefox and this morning noticed that when navigating to the secure login page of another online bank (ING) a similar little window pos up briefly.

The window does not seem to have anything in it. What is this? Is it something to do with the secure nature of the site that the anks have put in place or is it something more sinister? Having my online bank details key logged is not something I want.

Is there any software that hunts for keyloggers?

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

you can try to see if your infected by installing Ewido and TDS, let the two update and run in safe mode.

that should delete most keyloggers/malware and from there you can try Processguard which blocks hook based keyloggers and rootkits...

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

TrojanHunter is also good for detecting keyloggers (trial version available)
    Some AS also detect keyloggers

I've heard (and it would make sense) that the only keyloggers PG cannot stop are kernel based keyloggers...but of course if you install PG before any of them get there, then you'll never have to worry (unless you install an untrusted program off the net with a keylogger in it, and have PG deactivated)

Having said that, it seems unlikely that any keylogger would want to make it's presence known in such a way.

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I use NatWest online banking with Firefox and I never see another window open up either during or after the session. So do check for nasties to be on the safe side...

5. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I've noticed this small window popping up today on IE for my bank (Postbank, The Netherlands) as well.
    In my case, it's a disconnect window connected to the security for this site. :)

7. correct

correct Guest

Have also noticed this small window numerous times at numerous websites the first time was when downloading from a M$ website.
    Often the Window has "We" posted at the top although the screen itself is blank. Also the window has posted an "Error" message........
    Definitely this is a new exploit of sorts. Exploit because its an "unknown" that is not what Users are asking for. Very doubtful that its any sort of security. Can easily disable the window with certain programs. Had orginally thought the Window was the M$ thing that looks for non-M$ products. Will try to get an address for one of these Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.