Something not working correctly

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by JPM, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Registered Member

Hello,

I have had LnS for awhile now and have never had a problem with it. But all the sudden yesterday I could no longer connect to the internet. LnS keeps blocking all my apps. I loaded the enhanced rule set and everything works correctly, but if I load my main ruleset everything is then blocked. I started creating a new rule to test some things and it seems I can have a rule, as in email, set to only go to my mail server's IP and only using ports 25 & 110 and everything works fine. But as soon as I set it to where only my mail program can use the rule, the rule no longer works. My mail program is then bloacked via the TCP block all other packets. This rule is at the end of my TCP allows and should not come into play as my email rule is set well before it. I have been testing things but can't figure out what happend. Any suggetsions? I like my rule set to be rather tight only allowing certain apps to use specific rules and/or ports, plus only allowing them to go to specific IP addresses. The enhanced rule set is a little too open for my tastes :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi JPM,

simply speaking, you have a rule for allowing mails traffic for your ISP pop/smtp server only, a rule which works, but as soon as you add an application into the rule (for the rule be activated only when the app is loaded) then it doesn't work ?

This sounds like the application filtering is not working and doesn't detect as a consequence loaded network capable apps, and so doesn't enable your rule.

Try this patch :
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/LnSRegPatch.exe

and reboot, if my guess is right, application filtering will work again, as well as your whole own rule set.

If not, try to give us more details, screenshots and journal log.

regards,

gkweb.

3. JPM

JPM Registered Member

Well the patch fixed the problem, but I wonder why all the sudden it just stopped working? There were two things I have done recently, the first was install the newest version of KAV 5.0 on Friday. But everything was working fine that day and through most of yesterday. Then I saw a program from your website(?) I believe called wwdc. I downloaded it and checked my system out. I disabled two things with it, RPC and Netbios. I had thought Netbios was already disabled but thats another story. Anyways it seems that right after this LnS stopped working. I am not saying thats what caused it, nor am I blaming anyone :) But that is when it seems LnS, or at least my rules, stopped working. I tried to re-enable RPC and/or Netbios but it did not fix it. However everything seems ok now due to this patch so all is well. Thank you for your assistance!

Peace

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Frederic could answer with more details than me about this point, but i think the problem occurs by installing other drivers.
    By installing KAV 5.0 too, i had to use the patch.

My guess is that you have only noticed the malfunction later, because WWDC does not install nor modifies drivers.

Anyway, i'm glad all is working fine now :)

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.