Somehow ironic....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by currius, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. currius

currius Registered Member

As I was surfing my way up from the following URL: "http://javacool1.freeservers.com/" to download bdkiller a window popped up on my screen asking if I would be interested d/l
    XUPITER software.

Let me just say I was a bit surprised, and, I thought you people would like to know.

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Xupiter is a lop.com clone, and somehow I don't think you could possibly have 'caught' that one on Javacool's site.

Maybe somewere else, while getting there?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It is possible that you got it on that site - if you notice, they are a free webhosting company. I only used them for a little while - all links on the pages redirect to the new sites generously hosted here at Wilders (which have no ads, pop-ups, etc - again, the original "freeservers" sites were only used to get the program out as quickly as possible). At the time I originally put the pages up, they did not have any pop-ups displayed that tried to install anything (if that had originally been the case, I would have never used them).

I only keep the sites up in case someone gets an old link - B3D Killer is now available from: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/B3DKiller.html

-Javacool

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

In another related note, I have never gotten a pop-up for Xupiter...or anything else for that matter :D.

A combination of AdShield (www.adshield.org) and Proxomitron do a great job!

-Javacool

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I disabled Adshield, but nothing untoward happened to me when visiting the site.

Wouldn't it be an ActiveX thingie more likely?

Not on that site, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.