Software We Use But Hate

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Speaking of word processors that I actually like; I've always found AbiWord to be eminently useful.

2. vasa1: They tend not to support stuff like doc and docx formats, which unfortunately lots of universities use as their standard format (and no, I don't know why). This is mostly Microsoft's fault, but that doesn't make the word processors any more friendly in a university setting.

Daveski17: Abiword is my goto word processor on Windows. Unfortunately the Linux version is decidedly inferior; you can't turn off smooth scrolling on it, and it tends to choke on large documents. The smooth scrolling bug is especially killer when it rears its head - lines of graphical artifacts sliding slowly up your window make it impossible to write.

skudo12: never heard of Kingsoft office. It might work for me on Windows, OTOH Linux is my main OS (and I hugely prefer it for writing and office stuff).

BTW I have found some kernel scheduler tweaks that seem to help with the Abiword scrolling problem, so there may yet be hope!

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've discovered that I inevitably have to hack a British English dictionary into the PortableApps version! Also, for some odd reason, the portable AbiWord would freeze the old (XP) computers at a college I once taught at when I tried to 'print preview'. I know it's not totally compatible with all file formats, but I would really miss AbiWord if it disappeared.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I know that. I just don't accept that doc and docx are de jure standards.

5. guest

guest Guest

docx is ISO standard as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I don't like my UPS monitoring software.
    So I use them for initial configuration and then discard.
    Mrk

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There's quite a background to how docx became a "standard" after ODF.

8. woomera

woomera Registered Member

for me its windows, anything else that i dont like i already replaced with the ones i do but just impossible to leave windows.
    until an OS comes that can run ANY windows app w/o issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.